How hard is Maths and Further Maths A-level?

Watch
nyameye-bentil23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to do physics at uni and i enjoy physics very much. I'm pretty good at maths (expecting 7/8 in gcse) but im not as good at maths as i am in physics (expecting 8/9 in gcse) would i struggle taking further maths? What GCSE grades would you say would be the best in order for me not to struggle?
JAckieee.chan
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
Qxi.xli this woman can help you. She also has the same interest as you.
tej3141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maths isnt that hard. You should do decent if you get 7/8.but further maths is much harder. If you put in lots of work if you could do it.
For context,I think most people in my highschool who got a 6/7 in gcse maths are getting B in a level maths and those who got 8/low 9 in gcse maths get A/loe A* in maths and low A/B in further maths
Last edited by tej3141; 1 month ago
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A grade 8 or 9 would be great. 7 isn't bad.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends how good you are, really. Some people struggle on further maths "just" with a 7. This can be partly because they have shaky foundations. If you are very confident with the algebra (and to a lesser extent trigonometry) topics at GCSE and enjoy the subject, go for it. My school had a soft-requirement of an 8 but allowed some people who only got a 7 onto the course.

If you are unsure whether you could cope with FM (and even if not, imo) you should start on 4 subjects then possibly drop down to 3 if you find it too much or don't like a subject. Some schools require this anyway because of the lower retention rate (number of people who see the course to the end) for FM. A lot of people drop out early on, including some people who got 9s at GCSE. (while some other people with 7s and 8s cope fine, GCSE grades aren't excellent predictors, but they can suggest when someone may struggle)

8/9 for physics is obviously perfectly fine. The maths in physics does not extend much beyond algebra (you may have to combine multiple equations and do some extended algebraic manipulation - whereas GCSE physics is generally just plugging numbers in) and trigonometry. There are some basic exponential/logarithmic calculations in there.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
nyameye-bentil23
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
Depends how good you are, really. Some people struggle on further maths "just" with a 7. This can be partly because they have shaky foundations. If you are very confident with the algebra (and to a lesser extent trigonometry) topics at GCSE and enjoy the subject, go for it. My school had a soft-requirement of an 8 but allowed some people who only got a 7 onto the course.

If you are unsure whether you could cope with FM (and even if not, imo) you should start on 4 subjects then possibly drop down to 3 if you find it too much or don't like a subject. Some schools require this anyway because of the lower retention rate (number of people who see the course to the end) for FM. A lot of people drop out early on, including some people who got 9s at GCSE. (while some other people with 7s and 8s cope fine, GCSE grades aren't excellent predictors, but they can suggest when someone may struggle)

8/9 for physics is obviously perfectly fine. The maths in physics does not extend much beyond algebra (you may have to combine multiple equations and do some extended algebraic manipulation - whereas GCSE physics is generally just plugging numbers in) and trigonometry. There are some basic exponential/logarithmic calculations in there.
i love algebra and it's easily the maths topic i do best in and genuinely enjoy which is why i like physics so much as it has the maths i like. The only reason i'm worried about FM is my grades tend to fluctuate and i'm not the best at problem solving questions.
e1alop123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If by any chance, you are from Ghana?
shooonthebeat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Imo A Level maths is very hard. It's a huge jump from GCSE. I got an A in GCSE maths, after that I only did AS maths and I failed very badly then I moved on to do a level 3 instead of A Levels. However, it's definitely easier to some than others and if you're really confident that you'll be good at it and it's something you like then definitely go for it.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nyameye-bentil23)
i love algebra and it's easily the maths topic i do best in and genuinely enjoy which is why i like physics so much as it has the maths i like. The only reason i'm worried about FM is my grades tend to fluctuate and i'm not the best at problem solving questions.
Many schools require at least a grade 8 to allow you to start FMaths.
nyameye-bentil23
Rep:
?
yes!
e1alop123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nyameye-bentil23)
yes!
That is nice, I noticed from your username (also from there as well). Doing the same subject as you for a level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
23.4%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
8.51%
No I am happy with my choice (29)
61.7%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
6.38%

Watched Threads