U - turn on a medical path, what degree do I go for now?

Watch
tired-student
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all, I have wanted to medicine for a while but recently had the revelation that maybe I shouldn't go down that path after a horrible year 12 (long story > mental health > stopped coming to school > went from A to U but getting better. I am not ready to apply for a medical role. I have been looking at biomedical sciences or maybe pharmacy or medical physiology or chemistry? I am really not sure. Does anyone have any advise or words words of wisdom?

also, if there are any degrees that you recommend I look into that I probably wouldn't have thought of, that would be amazing.

I think I am just a bit overwhelmed by options because I have been so set on medicine and never bothered to look elsewhere. I am passionate about most things science but maybe not the physics side of it and would be in the degree I do choose but I just don't know what to pick or even where to look
libero
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi! if you are really set on medicine then you should try your best to achieve 3As and apply after a gap year (as many medics on TSR advise). however, some degrees that are heavily practical and medical based could include physiotherapy, nursing, podiatry or radiography! look into these roles and see if they are well suited to you
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is this with the goal of doing graduate entry medicine, or exploring a totally different career path? Do you still want to do something in healthcare?

www.prospects.ac.uk can be a good place to start.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (12)
6.32%
Uncertainty around my education (21)
11.05%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (21)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (28)
14.74%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (12)
6.32%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.68%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (16)
8.42%
Financial worries (10)
5.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (6)
3.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (14)
7.37%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
3.16%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (23)
12.11%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (14)
7.37%

Watched Threads