jfmayblossom
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am in year 9, headed to year ten, and the question now poses, should I participate in the DofE Silver that my school offers. I know it will look good on a university application, but I'm worried about the amount of work I will be required to put in, and whether it will impend on my studies for GCSE's.

Can someone give some advice on their experience, and what I should consider when choosing!
Thank you!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Universities are not interested or impressed by DofE. Don’t take it because you believed lies about it looking good for universities. Take it if you think it will be interesting or enjoyable.

You can always drop out if it starts affecting your studies
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree, take it for personal development/fun, but it's not something that's going to make the difference between you getting an offer or not.
amber0321
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I did DofE when I was in S4 (Scottish) and mentioned it during my uni application, but only in terms of what skills I gained from it.
Honestly, I don’t think it made much of a difference to my application as I only really spoke about work experience and other extracurriculars I did (med applicant) and didn’t bring up DofE other than in my personal statement, but I did mention the volunteering I did during DofE at interview.
It was a good experience (even though I almost broke my arm tripping over a fence ) but it definitely takes some time out of your studies, if you don’t do any extracurriculars it is something extra to add in as a bonus during a uni application, but you might be better off just doing other extracurriculars which work around your studying a bit better
mathperson
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jfmayblossom)
I am in year 9, headed to year ten, and the question now poses, should I participate in the DofE Silver that my school offers. I know it will look good on a university application, but I'm worried about the amount of work I will be required to put in, and whether it will impend on my studies for GCSE's.

Can someone give some advice on their experience, and what I should consider when choosing!
Thank you!
I did DofE bronze and silver when I was at school and really enjoyed it.
I'm now 32.

It will make absolutely no difference whatsoever to your college or university application, or applying for jobs.
I know they tell you it absolutely will, but it's just not true. In fact, if you tell people you did that most will ask "what's that?".

If you feel it's going to be too much work, don't do it and concentrate on your school work instead.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It wont impress any University.
Do something you enjoy, not just because 'it'll look good'.
jfmayblossom
Rep:
?
Thank you for the advice. I also want to do it with a group of friends who would volunteer with me.
jfmayblossom
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
It wont impress any University.
Do something you enjoy, not just because 'it'll look good'.
Thanks for the answer, I will really enjoy it, as I like that kind of thing!!
moey99
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thank you!
I totally advice you to go for it !!! if you get the balance right then it shouldn’t effect your GCSE’s. My son has done his Bronze, Silver & now Gold Award. It’s been great for his confidence & brings many benefits . It didn’t effect his grades, he is in Sixth form now and hoping to apply for a university place later this year. Although some may say that it won’t have any influence on your university application, but saying this they are interested in any work experience you’ve had that may link to your chosen subject at uni, so the volunteering part of the DofE can help with this. GO FOR IT !!!!
LawStudent456
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thank you!
Universities don’t care about DoE.
moey99
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by daveymcloughlin)
Universities don’t care about DoE.
Universities might not care about DofE awards, but they are interested in any skills you have obtained or a work experience that links to your chosen subject in some way. This is where the DofE volunteering part can help, by choosing a role that links in, then this WILL LOOK GOOD when writing the personal statement.
LawStudent456
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by moey99)
Universities might not care about DofE awards, but they are interested in any skills you have obtained or a work experience that links to your chosen subject in some way. This is where the DofE volunteering part can help, by choosing a role that links in, then this WILL LOOK GOOD when writing the personal statement.
If you’re arsed about putting volunteering in your personal statement, you may as well just not do it and lie about it

Save you a lot of time
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by moey99)
Very few degrees select based on skills in a PS - and for those that do then DofE isn’t generally the best way to demonstrate the required skills.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (30)
16.3%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (57)
30.98%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (21)
11.41%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.7%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (9)
4.89%
I think it's an unfair expectation (48)
26.09%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.63%

Watched Threads