Chemistry or Design and Technology for 4th A-Level (Engineering) ?

Watch
Miucee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Planning to study engineering (either mechanical, electronics, aeronautical or biomedical, not civil and maybe chemical engineering). Taking maths physics and further maths for A-Level. For my 4th a level should i take DT or chemistry. Where is chemistry useful in these disciplines (apart from chem eng).From my understanding the main two relevant aspects are materials and thermodynamics.
Last edited by Miucee; 1 month ago
Ice.Log
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miucee)
Planning to study engineering (either mechanical, electronics, aeronautical or biomedical, not civil and maybe chemical engineering). Taking maths physics and further maths for A-Level. For my 4th a level should i take DT or chemistry. Where is chemistry useful in these disciplines (apart from chem eng).From my understanding the main two relevant aspects are materials and thermodynamics.
Same, however I think you should take D&T as you'd get the hands-on experience that you can't get in Chemistry, and you get to understand "from idea to product" better. I'll tag in Muttley79 and Doones to better help.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
DT includes materials and it is certainly useful. It's a popular A level for potential Engineers for the reasons stated by Ice.Log.
Miucee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
DT includes materials and it is certainly useful. It's a popular A level for potential Engineers for the reasons stated by Ice.Log.
What are the main differences in DT content between GCSE and A-Level ? Does the A-Level for go significantly more in depth ? Looking at the specification (for me it would be AQA) I can definitely see the relevance of the content, but the level of detail appears quite similar to GCSE.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are the main differences in DT content between GCSE and A-Level ? Does the A-Level for go significantly more in depth ? Looking at the specification (for me it would be AQA) I can definitely see the relevance of the content, but the level of detail appears quite similar to GCSE.
I teach Maths - there's more content and a lot more detail needed. Talk to the teachers about content
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
15.13%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (97)
31.91%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.5%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.55%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.59%
I think it's an unfair expectation (77)
25.33%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed