the joys of being gay! Watch

This discussion is closed.
silkymouse1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mk2005)
i want to know if gay people feel "gay" if an opposite sex try coming on to them?
Hehe, that's a rather strange but interesting question

With me- if someone from the opposite sex comes onto me (not that it happens very much!), I don't feel gay as such, it's simply that I'm not attracted to them, just the same as if someone you had no interest in came onto you

L
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
plenty of bisexual people out there that come across as gay but are just fussy about the looks of the opposite sex lol
leopard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zarathustra)
- does anyone else find comments such as "I tolerate their presence" more than slightly...condescending / prejudiced? (IMHO)
~maybe 'accept' was a better word to use...but u have to agree they are still a minority that are often targetted. As I said before, i'm not out to attack any of them. there are others here who DONT tolerate their presence, saying things like it's completely abnormal and wrong and to get out of the gene pool ?!!
katiesado
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't know why people bother trying to convince homophobes not to be homophobic (it doesn't work). If you don't like something or aren't interested in something a bunch of people typing at you isn't bound to do much for you. I don't like all gay people and I don't like all straight people. Gay people seem interesting to me because they have a unique set of problems and personality quirks that go along with being gay that I've never encountered. In the end though, I've met straight people with far more bizarre issues than any gay people I know. I just think people with problems different than mine are interesting.
Zarathustra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by leopard)
~maybe 'accept' was a better word to use...but u have to agree they are still a minority that are often targetted. As I said before, i'm not out to attack any of them. there are others here who DONT tolerate their presence, saying things like it's completely abnormal and wrong and to get out of the gene pool ?!!
Yeah I see what you're saying completely - think I may have come across as more antagonistic than I had intended, in which case I apologise. I'm just kinda annoyed with the way the whole gay rights debate (and I mean in the world at large and amongst politicians/theorists, not just tsr!) is being carried out atm.
Imho, society should just accept "them" as people, not tolerate them as gays. Then there'd be no need for gay rights at all - we'd just get the same "human rights" as everyone else. But I fear I've said this all before.
Anyone remotely agree?

I don't see it happening for a while though...

:bebored:

ZarathustraX
topdude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah I see what you're saying completely - think I may have come across as more antagonistic than I had intended, in which case I apologise. I'm just kinda annoyed with the way the whole gay rights debate (and I mean in the world at large and amongst politicians/theorists, not just tsr!) is being carried out atm.
Imho, society should just accept "them" as people, not tolerate them as gays. Then there'd be no need for gay rights at all - we'd just get the same "human rights" as everyone else. But I fear I've said this all before.
Anyone remotely agree?

I don't see it happening for a while though...

ZarathustraX
what is gay rights anyway? what do gays actually want(apart from acceptance)?
silkymouse1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by topdude)
Gay people want the same right as straight people: the right to get married. The right to be the next of kin to our partners so we do not have to pay large inheritance taxes or not be allowed to see our partners in hospital in emergencies whilst blood family members can.
We want to be able to bring up children the same way straight couples can, be able to walk down the street without being shouted abuse at, be treated as equals in the workplace etc etc

L
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lol, good question...to which the short answer would be: see my original post. "Gays" are humans - they should therefore have all the human rights that "hets" get.

Think about it. I'm sure you'd be much less happy with your lot if you:
-knew you could be discriminated against in the workplace on the basis of your sexuality (even if it may be disguised as another issue)
-could get the ***** kicked out of you for walking down a street in the wrong sort of area hand in hand with your same-sex partner
-could be extensively bullied at school on the basis of something you couldn't control (ie. your sexuality) and knew that, in certain schools, teachers may be more likely to turn a blind eye to bullying of this sort
-were told constantly that you were sick/disgusting/less-than-human in some way
-were unable to marry the person you love, inherit property from them if they die, or obtain next of kin visiting rights for them in hospital
-were unable to have "the kids you always wanted" through adoption etc.
-etc.
-etc.

It's not nice. :mad:

I could give you more if you wanted - a lot of things you just take for granted.

Also consider, as a perhaps slightly analogous case, that prior to the feminist movement the vast majority thought it'd be simply ridiculous for women to be able to, for example, own property, divorce their husbands for rape, have a career, etc. Now, most people (in the West, lets say, just to be safe) would laugh at the (archaic) idea that they shouldn't have such rights. Because...guess what?...women are people too!
So are "gays". One day, that'll be realised, and this struggle will seem ridiculous.

ZarathustraX

EDIT: Silkymouse1, only just saw your post, sorry - didn't mean to ignore and repeat you!
Topdude, I second what she said.

EDIT 2: Topdude, just thought of something else relevant. You have made some quite offensive, generalised comments on this thread about 'gays' - I accept that this is your opinion, am not having a go at you, etc., but I would like to ask: would you be prepared to voice negative opinions of, say, people from a different ethnic or racial group to you so loudly? Because personally, I don't see homophobia as being any worse than racism - you don't choose to be black/white/whatever so you shouldn't be abused for it. You don't choose to be gay/bi/straight/whatever, so...
topdude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Also consider, as a perhaps slightly analogous case, that prior to the feminist movement the vast majority thought it'd be simply ridiculous for women to be able to, for example, own property, divorce their husbands for rape, have a career, etc. Now, most people (in the West, lets say, just to be safe) would laugh at the (archaic) idea that they shouldn't have such rights. Because...guess what?...women are people too!

EDIT 2: Topdude, just thought of something else relevant. You have made some quite offensive, generalised comments on this thread about 'gays' - I accept that this is your opinion, am not having a go at you, etc., but I would like to ask: would you be prepared to voice negative opinions of, say, people from a different ethnic or racial group to you so loudly? Because personally, I don't see homophobia as being any worse than racism - you don't choose to be black/white/whatever so you shouldn't be abused for it. You don't choose to be gay/bi/straight/whatever, so...
women are people too? :eek: (ok thats a joke dont go crying!)

You do get to choose your sexuality.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
"positive discrimination" probably...like all other minorities.
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Really? I'd be shocked if someone did a study on this that revealed even 5% of gay people declaring that they'd "chosen" it. Do you have any evidence to back this up?

Oh and just as an aside (though not an entirely serious one, before I get flamed), these days if you have the financial resources to get a sex change then by not doing so you are effectively 'choosing' to remain a woman.

ZarathustraX
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
Certainly not what I'd advocate... :rolleyes:

ZarathustraX
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
really?

would you ever choose to be gay?
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Not really, it's not like you can say 'I want to be attracted to that gender' just like you can't choose the person you're attracted to, you just are...

Though I'll grant you that you have a choice on whether or not to act on those attractions...
topdude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
lol, there is some truth in that i suppose (and before any1 thinks im racist i am actually asian......some positive discrimination please!)
topdude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
actually thinking anout what natalie lane just said, i guess you can argue that you are "born" gay....

so ill go with the religious argument(which is used by every religion)....

colour dont matter.....
values do......
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
actually thinking anout what natalie lane just said, i guess you can argue that you are "born" gay....
Excellent. Now we've got that cleared up, could I ask you to please offer a more detailed response to this:

Just out of interest?

ZarathustraX
topdude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
actually what i just said is nonsense u r not born gay! gayness comes becomes of the situation ur brought up in, ie someone brought up near gays is more likely to become gay
topdude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
by the way the above reply was done before zarath....'s one so dont think im goin back on what i said after what he sed.!
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
actually what i just daid is ********. u r not born gay! gayness comes becomes of the situation ur brought up in, ie someone brought up near gays is mor elikely to become gay
So there is no possibility of being gay if you're brought up in a straight environment?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1066)
79.02%
Leave (283)
20.98%

Watched Threads