the joys of being gay! Watch

This discussion is closed.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by topdude)
actually what i just said is nonsense u r not born gay! gayness comes becomes of the situation ur brought up in, ie someone brought up near gays is more likely to become gay
it's an airbourne disease?
topdude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Natalie Lane)
So there is no possibility of being gay if you're brought up in a straight environment?
nah there still is a possibility. ie i was born in a straight enviroment, but then there are also other influences like friends in school, friends outside of schools, neighbours, the stuff you see on television. the most important aspect though is the teachings of those elder then you when you are young thou. but im 100% sure that any1 who had the same bringing up as me would never turn out gay, whoever they are.

thats why there are cultural differences in gayness (and dont say coz they are scared of being disowned or anything).
topdude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im of 2 watch football, reply 2 the rest of ur interigation later!
topdude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ud never get a gay watching football, becuase they are brought up in non-football-loving enviroments!
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
actually what i just said is nonsense u r not born gay! gayness comes becomes of the situation ur brought up in, ie someone brought up near gays is more likely to become gay
1) You are again providing no evidence whatsoever for your claims.

2) Even if what you say is true, that still means that it is not the individual's own "fault" or choice that they're gay. Ergo, it is still unfair to discriminate against them.

???

ZarathustraX

EDIT (after reading above posts): Topdude, I am a SHE. Your football comments are not even worthy of a response...
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ud never get a gay watching football, becuase they are brought up in non-football-loving enviroments!
Are you joking?
I know gay people who watch and play sports including football. Professionals often don't appear to be gay its mainly because it isn't socially acceptable for them to be out. It doesn't mean that they arent gay.
Natalie Lane
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
nah there still is a possibility. ie i was born in a straight enviroment, but then there are also other influences like friends in school, friends outside of schools, neighbours, the stuff you see on television. the most important aspect though is the teachings of those elder then you when you are young thou. but im 100% sure that any1 who had the same bringing up as me would never turn out gay, whoever they are.

thats why there are cultural differences in gayness (and dont say coz they are scared of being disowned or anything).
So your upbringing has taught you to choose who you're attracted to? I still don't think that makes sense, I'll agree that upbringing might influence your opinions, as in being non tolerant and so in a case such as yours not even considering looking at the same gender in that way but I still think that when it comes down to it it's something that you feel, it's personal and has nothing to do with any external influence

That is not only a stereotype but a very untrue one...
silkymouse1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
"positive discrimination" probably...like all other minorities.
I completely disagree with this and find it offensive.
If you were with your partner, walking down the street, and someone decided to start yelling at you and hurling abuse at you: someone you've never even met, how would you feel? If the brother of your partner started getting bullied because of his sister's sexuality, how would you feel? If your teacher started picking on you and jepordising your potential future at university through giving you bad reviews to others, just because she didn't agree with your sexuality, how would you feel? These things have all happened to me, and to suggest that all gay people want positive discrimination is ridiculous, most just have a desire to be treated like anyone else would.

L
silkymouse1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

My girlfriend is a Muslim. She's been brought up in a very strict religious setting, as have I, only in a very strict Christian setting. Before we got together, we'd never met anyone who wasn't straight. Both of our family's tell us that homosexuality is wrong and that if anyone in their family was gay then they would be disowned. I cannot accept that it was our bringing up that would lead us to be gay. Surely if ones upbringing has that much effect on ones sexuality, we'd both be the most bigotted pencil straight people ever???!

L
topdude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the football and postive discrimination thing were both jokes.....

to silkymouse, here parents obviously werent that muslim, otherwise she wouldnt be going out with you or with any christian for that matter. there must have been external influences on both you and her that made you become gay. The whole being treated badly thing is obviously wrong, for example if i became a teacher i wouldnt discriminate because of the nature of my job. i wont lie to you, if a family member or any i cared about became gay i would be livid, and probably disown them. if i see a gay person down the street however, i wouldnt hurl abuse at them because i dont really give a s*** about them....

natalie lane u kinda answered your own question.....

to zara:

"1)You are again providing no evidence whatsoever for your claims.

2) Even if what you say is true, that still means that it is not the individual's own "fault" or choice that they're gay. Ergo, it is still unfair to discriminate against them"

well i dont have any evidence, because i admit i cant actually prove it, but it is what i honestly believe.

2) wow, thats actually a very solid point! but they still have some choice in the matter.
Elainawilliams
Report 14 years ago

to silkymouse, here parents obviously werent that muslim, otherwise she wouldnt be going out with you or with any christian for that matter. there must have been external influences on both you and her that made you become gay. The whole being treated badly thing is obviously wrong, for example if i became a teacher i wouldnt discriminate because of the nature of my job. i wont lie to you, if a family member or any i cared about became gay i would be livid, and probably disown them. if i see a gay person down the street however, i wouldnt hurl abuse at them because i dont really give a s*** about them....

to zara:

2) Even if what you say is true, that still means that it is not the individual's own "fault" or choice that they're gay. Ergo, it is still unfair to discriminate against them"

well i dont have any evidence, because i admit i cant actually prove it, but it is what i honestly believe.

2) wow, thats actually a very solid point! but they still have some choice in the matter.

******** I know 2 muslim guys from my area who are gay, but would never come out to their families. ONe told me when he was drunk that he always been more sexually attracted to boys. Of course there are many muslims who are gay, they just keep it secret.
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i wont lie to you, if a family member or any i cared about became gay i would be livid, and probably disown them. if i see a gay person down the street however, i wouldnt hurl abuse at them because i dont really give a s*** about them....
You really shouldn't comment so extensively on issues that you obviously have very little knowledge of. It makes you look like an idiot.
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You do get to choose your sexuality.
Rubbish. As if someone can 'decide', consciously, to 'become' gay. You have no more choice over your sexuality than you do with the colour of your eyes or whether you are male or female.
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmm..thanks.

But I've got to say - I'd still like to see you provide some evidence for the fact that there's an element of choice (in the attraction, not just the act) - the fact that you sincerely believe it, which is fine, doesn't make it true.
Could you even think of a reason why someone might "choose" to be gay? Seems absurd to me - until all the prejudice and discrimination etc is a thing of the past I can't see why anyone would choose it (and even then I still dispute the fact that they could!).

ZarathustraX
PublicSchoolAnn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

to zara:

Get a life. Being livid at someone for being gay. Yeah I would be shocked as sin if someone i knew came out but id accept that. Anyway its not like them being gay actually affects you.
silkymouse1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Firstly, you do not know either of our families so cannot comment on how 'religious' (for want of a better word) they are.
Secondly, just because you are homophobic and would not discriminate against me because of the nature of your job does not mean that somone else who is homophobic (as in the example I gave) would not do so. What I was saying in the post where I gave that example, and the abuse in the street example, was if gay people had the same rights as others, then people would think differently, and so the instances where people would get hurled abuse at/discriminated against would decrease a lot.

L
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have just read over a few odd pages in this thread (obviously it would have been a bit of a task to read the whole lot!) and I have to say there are some really shocking views being expressed. I'm not even talking about the blatantly offensive "being gay is sick and wrong" type sentiments, it's the incredibly condescending and degrading things people who think they're being "liberal" are saying. How can you say, "I love gay people, they're so fun. They're so much cooler than straight people, they're even *****ier than girls, it's so funny" (obviously not a direct quote from anyone)? Does it not strike anyone as incredibly offensive to make that kind of comment? I can't imagine anyone saying; "I just love black people, it's so cool how they can rap and how they like to wear loads of gold jewellery" or "I just love how women try to reverse cars, it's so cute!" It's also not overly nice to the straight people reading the thread who have to hear how homosexuals are some how "better" than them. Does sexuality really make this much of a difference? Do you feel you need to know someone's sexuality before you can decide what "type" of person they are (fun, bitter, boring, *****y etc)? I think it's unbelievably pathetic that people have to place so much emphasis on something so ridiculously shallow. To close on a lighter note; haven't any of you heard the phrase "any hole's a goal"?
topdude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ok a lot of people 2 reply 2....

publicschoolann yes it does affect me if people i care about become gay, just becuase u seem 2 have no family values doesnt mean i havent.

zara prove evidence that there isnt a choice.....

silkymouse obviosuly i dont think the way uve been treated is completely correct but only if there is zero tolerance then the whole gay thing can be abolished. sorry if that offends u, but it is what i believe, im not gonna shy away from it. just as u feel u shud stick up for gays, i feel i should stick up for homophobia (i dont wanna use this word but cant think of an appropriate 1)

kew stop repeating what others have said
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
zara prove evidence that there isnt a choice.....
where is your evidence that it is a choice?
silkymouse1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
silkymouse obviosuly i dont think the way uve been treated is completely correct but only if there is zero tolerance then the whole gay thing can be abolished. sorry if that offends u, but it is what i believe, im not gonna shy away from it. just as u feel u shud stick up for gays, i feel i should stick up for homophobia (i dont wanna use this word but cant think of an appropriate 1)
Ok- so lets say that everyone was completely intolerant to gay people- you're saying that if that happened then the 'whole gay thing' would be abolished. Whether people are tolerant or not, most gay people aren't going to change their sexuality. They'll just feel a lot happier if people were more tolerant to them. If everyone was intolerant to me- if everyone shouted abuse at me in the streets- if everyone beat me up, I'd still love my girlfriend. Nobody's intolerance could change that. I'd still be in a gay relationship.

L
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.95%
Pro-humanity (167)
54.05%

Watched Threads