The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
You can't ungay somebody. You can't make them sexually attracted to the opposite sex. Obviously it was tried and it didn't work.
topdude
zara prove evidence that there isnt a choice.....

Erm...how about the testimony of any gay person you care to mention :rolleyes:

Nice try turning it around, but you're the one here making unsubstantiated claims - mine are at least based on my own experience, and reified by the experiences of many friends whom I've spoken to.

I second Fishpaste's comments.

ZarathustraX
Reply 302
fishpaste
You can't ungay somebody. You can't make them sexually attracted to the opposite sex. Obviously it was tried and it didn't work.

well yea, with the people who are already gay it 2 late, bit i mean as a deterrent to stop other people becoming gay.

on the being born gay thing, u just cannot be, it is not natural. a man is naturally attracted to a woman, and vice versa, it is basic nature, hence the reproductive system being how it is. If being gay was natural, then gay people would be able 2 have thier own, bioligical children.
Reply 303
topdude
well yea, with the people who are already gay it 2 late, bit i mean as a deterrent to stop other people becoming gay.

on the being born gay thing, u just cannot be, it is not natural. a man is naturally attracted to a woman, and vice versa, it is basic nature, hence the reproductive system being how it is. If being gay was natural, then gay people would be able 2 have thier own, bioligical children.

i dunno ur thinking like theres some god with a benevolent plan and makes everything for a reason.... i respect ur views but must disagree.. i dont belive u are born attracted to women (obvious sick breast feeding issues) i think the events in ur life make u either gay or strait.
Reply 304
amo1
i dunno ur thinking like theres some god with a benevolent plan and makes everything for a reason.... i respect ur views but must disagree.. i dont belive u are born attracted to women (obvious sick breast feeding issues) i think the events in ur life make u either gay or strait.

well u r kinda agreeing with me in a sense, with ur last line.

I think events in ur life can have an influence on you that have the potential to make u gay, but at the end of the day there is still some choice in the matter.

by the way i do believe god makes things for a reason (in the bioligical sense)
Reply 305
topdude

zara prove evidence that there isnt a choice.....

Animals choose to be gay then do they? Or its based on their upbringing.
If its purely on upbringing why do you get only one gay person in a family why isn't everyone gay?
Reply 306
topdude
well u r kinda agreeing with me in a sense, with ur last line.

I think events in ur life can have an influence on you that have the potential to make u gay, but at the end of the day there is still some choice in the matter.

I can't see why anyone would 'choose' to be gay. 'Choice' (in this sense, anyway) has to be something people are conscious of. What you have described, whether or not there is truth in it (which there probably is), cannot be an individual's choice.

Ben
Reply 307
viviki
If its purely on upbringing why do you get only one gay person in a family why isn't everyone gay?

u can have 2 twins one gay, one not. but t doesnt mean they have had the same upbringing, ie they could have beenin different classes at school, they could have watched diff tv programmes, etc. which unforunatly have an incredible influence over people, esp the young.

And even if upbrining is identical, there is still an element of choice 2 it, say if we all had the same upbringing as graham nortin, im sure we wouldnt have all become gay.
Reply 308
viviki

how can it be upbringing, you cant train someone to be gay, if say a lesbian couple were to raise a child it wouldnt automatically be gay would it, being gay is in you from the start
Reply 309
So how exactly in your reasoning does someone decide to be gay.
They are deciding according to you to opt for a lifestyle which isn't as social acceptable and with people that they shouldn't (according to you) be naturally attracted to, why would they do this.
It makes no sense. And I repeat as regard to animals - why do you get gay animals then.
Reply 310
~*glitter*~
how can it be upbringing, you cant train someone to be gay, if say a lesbian couple were to raise a child it wouldnt automatically be gay would it, being gay is in you from the start

Exactly...
Reply 311
as i see it is impossible to get u 2 agree on the choice thing, let me say u guys r right (which i dont actually think u r by the way...sorry had 2 add that bit in) and say u just are attracted to people of the same sex. it still doesnt mean that u should go out with them. A 56yr old man may feel atrracted to a 16(legal) yr old girl, he cant help it, so should he have a relationship with her? no, because its still wrong.
Topdude and amo1: you remind me of THIS. (Still no support on the choice element though...)

Though that was a dyke taking the piss, so it was much more entertaining. Anyone who's gay read it also - it's priceless.

:biggrin:

ZarathustraX
Reply 313
topdude
as i see it is imposiblle to get u 2 agree on the choice thing, let me say u guys r right (which i dont actually think u r by the way...sorry had 2 add that bit in) and say u just are attracted to people of the same sex. it still doesnt mean that u should go out with them. A 56yr old man may feel atrracted to a 16(legal) yr old girl, he cant help it, so should he have a relationship with her? no, because its still wrong.

Yeah but a 56 year old man wouldn't only be attracted to 16 year old girls they would probably be quite able to sleep with older women as well.
I imagine that a gay man for instance would probably find the idea of sleeping with a woman as unpleasant as I would find sleeping with a woman, it would be unthinkable.

There is no choice for them its not like they are bisexual they aren't attracted to the opposite sex at all.

So you believe they should be forced to live life either alone with no partner or force themself into a relationship which isn't going to work because they find sex with the opposite sex repugnant.
Reply 314
topdude
as i see it is imposiblle to get u 2 agree on the choice thing, let me say u guys r right (which i dont actually think u r by the way...sorry had 2 add that bit in) and say u just are attracted to people of the same sex. it still doesnt mean that u should go out with them. A 56yr old man may feel atrracted to a 16(legal) yr old girl, he cant help it, so should he have a relationship with her? no, because its still wrong.

Well, in accordance with your debating skills, that was the inevitable outcome. Your analogy is simply not applicable! A 56 year old man has had, probably, 40 years to find someone he cares about. You are talking of denying people that for a lifetime. You cannot compare the needs of people to the lusts of some old lech.

Ben
Reply 315
viviki
Yeah but a 56 year old man wouldn't only be attracted to 16 year old girls they would probably be quite able to sleep with older women as well.
I imagine that a gay man for instance would probably find the idea of sleeping with a woman as unpleasant as I would find sleeping with a woman, it would be unthinkable.

There is no choice for them its not like they are bisexual they aren't attracted to the opposite sex at all.

So you believe they should be forced to live life either alone with no partner or force themself into a relationship which isn't going to work because they find sex with the opposite sex repugnant.

but a 56 yr old man who ****s a 16 yr old girl is still wrong, just as a man and a man is wrong. If a man can not find it possible 2 be attracted to a wonan, then tough become celibate.
Reply 316
Ben.S.
Well, in accordance with your debating skills, that was the inevitable outcome. Your analogy is simply not applicable! A 56 year old man has had, probably, 40 years to find someone he cares about. You are talking of denying people that for a lifetime. You cannot compare the needs of people to the lusts of some old lech.

Ben

whos to say its lust, the 56 yr old man can argue he needs the girl just as much as a gay man says he needs another man
Reply 317
topdude
but a 56 yr old man who ****s a 16 yr old girl is still wrong, just as a man and a man is wrong. If a man can not find it possible 2 be attracted to a wonan, then tough become celibate.

So live an unhappy life forever - nice

I repeat it isn't a choice and if it isn't a choice how can it be wrong.
Reply 318
topdude
whos to say its lust, the 56 yr old man can argue he needs the girl just as much as a gay man says he needs another man

Yes, but that would be lust. What could he have in common with a girl half a century (well, almost) his junior?

Ben
Reply 319
Ben.S.
Yes, but that would be lust. What could he have in common with a girl half a century (well, almost) his junior?

Ben

well just as u think a 56 yr old with a 16yr old is wrong (which for the record i also think is wrong) i think gayness is wrong.

let me put it like this 2 u.....when we are born we are born with an orientation to sin, ie be gay. The temptation may be there, but giving in2 to the temptation is where the actual sin occurs.

Latest

Trending

Trending