Retaking Year 12 and applying to University

Watch
ErwinSmithNo1Fan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there, I recently dropped out of year 12 before taking my ucas exams for my predicted grades mainly due to my depression but I hadn't been diagnosed then. For the whole year I had missed a lot of days and would be constantly doing bad. The subjects I did were Maths, Biology and Chemistry and I applied to another school to retake year 12 with those same subjects. I had my plans set on going to uni to do medicine but I don't know whether they'll accept someone who has repeated year 12 but hasn't taken their final exams, if that even matters, with the same subjects. Obviously, I have depression but I wasn't diagnosed during the time I was in school for year 12 so I don't know if it counts as an extenuating circumstance. In summary, I am asking whether I can get accepted into medical school even after repeating yr 12 with the same subjects but not taking the exams and being diagnosed with depression after dropping out?
Jennie kim
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you should prioritise your mental health first , if you haven’t maybe also get therapy , I used to gloss over the fact that mental health is just as if not more important than physical health and it affect your daily activity and lifestyle so definitely take of yourself. I know how hard it is to stay motivated but honestly yes there’s a reason they do retakes plus you have/ would have likely missed out on a good few months of education due the current circumstances I.e covid so i’m sure they would take that into consideration however don’t quote me so i’d say ask your teachers since you didn’t actually take the exam also your only in year 12 so you’ll have year 13 as well and that’s when you take the proper real assessments at least in my school .
anyway stay safe!! goodnight
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Medicine is a high-stress degree - and a high-stress career.
Its not a good choice for anyone with their own mental health issues.
You need to wait a few years until you know you have the depression etc under control or consider something different.

There are plenty of other pathways that may give you as much job satisfaction -
Cellular and Molecular Medicine (a variety of courses) - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/...undergraduate/
Allied Health Careers - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...th-professions
Operating Theatre Practice - https://le.ac.uk/odp
ErwinSmithNo1Fan
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Medicine is a high-stress degree - and a high-stress career.
Its not a good choice for anyone with their own mental health issues.
You need to wait a few years until you know you have the depression etc under control or consider something different.

There are plenty of other pathways that may give you as much job satisfaction -
Cellular and Molecular Medicine (a variety of courses) - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/...undergraduate/
Allied Health Careers - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...th-professions
Operating Theatre Practice - https://le.ac.uk/odp
Thank you so much especially with the alternate pathways. Do you think once I have my depression under control after seeking treatment I can still get into medicine maybe through graduate entry?
ErwinSmithNo1Fan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jennie kim)
I think you should prioritise your mental health first , if you haven’t maybe also get therapy , I used to gloss over the fact that mental health is just as if not more important than physical health and it affect your daily activity and lifestyle so definitely take of yourself. I know how hard it is to stay motivated but honestly yes there’s a reason they do retakes plus you have/ would have likely missed out on a good few months of education due the current circumstances I.e covid so i’m sure they would take that into consideration however don’t quote me so i’d say ask your teachers since you didn’t actually take the exam also your only in year 12 so you’ll have year 13 as well and that’s when you take the proper real assessments at least in my school .
anyway stay safe!! goodnight
Thanks, I am still in the waiting list for therapy but I think what got to me was seeing my friends moving forward before I do and doing well in their exams.
malshoha
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ErwinSmithNo1Fan)
Thank you so much especially with the alternate pathways. Do you think once I have my depression under control after seeking treatment I can still get into medicine maybe through graduate entry?
it is possible but GEM is VERY competitive, or maybe you can try do a transfer medicine course
Jennie kim
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ErwinSmithNo1Fan)
Thanks, I am still in the waiting list for therapy but I think what got to me was seeing my friends moving forward before I do and doing well in their exams.
It’s actually really easy to compare yourself to others especially if your in that type of environment (school) so I understand , but you shouldn’t get caught up focusing on others too much (so do things for you) and seeing there progress shouldn’t be a ‘negative’ for you .
seeing your friends do well should motivate you to do better , I know sometimes it feels like ‘well why are they doing so well and I’m not . Turn it into ‘how are they doing so well’ ‘what am I not doing that I need to be doing to get where I want to be’ and ask for their advice , like :
how long are you studying , what do you use to help you study ?could you teach me xyz? Etc
if you ask your friends these things , you will learn for yourself what works and doesn’t work for you !!
. I’d say this summer take the opportunity to work on yourself and do things for yourself which you enjoy!! build up your cv but take a little break for yourself / talk to supportive people , school shouldn’t be that deep and if it is , then take a step back and observe ,
what’s the obstacles that are causing things like stress ,worry. If your still on the waiting list for therapy then try signing up with teen counselling website they might be able to help with your mental health .
I think that’s the advice I could come up with . Anything else I’m happy to help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.86%
Uncertainty around my education (93)
11.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (84)
10.26%
Lack of purpose or motivation (104)
12.7%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.88%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.49%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (90)
10.99%
Financial worries (57)
6.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.52%
Exposure to negative news/social media (52)
6.35%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.05%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (79)
9.65%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (65)
7.94%

Watched Threads