Did anyone ever prefer non-Oxbridge universities to Oxbridge?

Watch
StarLinyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Did anyone ever prefer non-Oxbridge universities to Oxbridge itself? For example, did anyone like Oxbridge at undergraduate level, but like another UK university even more at postgraduate level, and vice versa? Have Oxbridge students and graduates ever been curious, and even sad to reject offers, of other leading UK universities and have wondered what it would have been like attending them instead?
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StarLinyx)
Did anyone ever prefer non-Oxbridge universities to Oxbridge itself? For example, did anyone like Oxbridge at undergraduate level, but like another UK university even more at postgraduate level, and vice versa? Have Oxbridge students and graduates ever been curious, and even sad to reject offers, of other leading UK universities and have wondered what it would have been like attending them instead?
Yes. When I was applying, I considered about 6 non-Oxbridge unis. All of which (with the exception of Durham) had qualities I liked that, from what I can tell, are not found at Oxbridge. I didn't end up preferring any of them, but I can see why some people might.
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Yes. When I was applying, I considered about 6 non-Oxbridge unis. All of which (with the exception of Durham) had qualities I liked that, from what I can tell, are not found at Oxbridge. I didn't end up preferring any of them, but I can see why some people might.
Which ones were they? Bristol, Edinburgh?
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes. But I'm still going to apply to Oxford as my first choice 😳 if I get the predicted grades
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
Yes. But I'm still going to apply to Oxford as my first choice 😳 if I get the predicted grades
Where is your back-up choice?
username5701862
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ooo what course are you gonna apply for?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't change having done my undergrad at Oxford for anything (I'd have been miserable as hell at my insurance choice), but I am glad in retrospect that I was pushed out for postgrad studies. I think I've really benefitted from attending three different unis for three different degrees, both personally and academically :yep: Oxbridge isn't everything for every subject (indeed, they don't offer every subject anyway ) and it's important to take a holistic approach when weighing up whether it's the right uni for you :moon:
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Oxbridge medicine course wouldn't have suited me at all, with the focus on basic science and experiment design, so I certainly preferred basically any other medical school in the UK
I have friends studying medicine at Cambridge and hearing what they're up to I have no regrets about not applying, as I wouldn't have done well there.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, my original preference for universities was: Imperial, Cambridge, UCL, KCL. I didn’t care for Oxford at all (apart from its history and architecture perhaps).

Although knowing what I know now about KCL, I’d swap it for Barts.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 1 month ago
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which ones were they? Bristol, Edinburgh?
St Andrews, Warwick, Lancaster, York, Dundee.
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Yes, my original preference for universities was: Imperial, Cambridge, UCL, KCL. I didn’t care for Oxford at all (apart from its history and architecture perhaps).

Although knowing what I know now about KCL, I’d swap it for Barts.
what do you know about kcl now?

(Original post by Oceanwater)
Ooo what course are you gonna apply for?
Physics ew

Where is your back-up choice?
haven't decided yet haha
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Course-specific stuff, not general uni stuff, so I doubt it would impact anyone else’s decision.
StarLinyx
Rep:
?

Physics ew

haven't decided yet haha
Is your profile photo real? It is very attractive. Physics - which ones are on your radar?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
31.43%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
5.71%
No I am happy with my choice (20)
57.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (2)
5.71%

Watched Threads