The Student Room Group

How much time is spent on studying at home?

I am about to start a Speach and language degree but also need to work. I’m hoping that I will get at least 2 free mornings a week so I can work. I have been told that I will be at university for 40 hours a week which seems a lot?
Can anyone shed some light on the workload? Thanks
It depends on your specific university.
Some universities have straight up told students it will be all online.
Last year on my course some weeks we were getting literally one lecture a week.
Next year we are getting just straight placement for full weeks at a time to make up for it. So, we won’t have much time at all. I’m going to only be able to work at the weekends.

I’d say get in touch with your university and ask them.
You’ll going to have to wait until you get your timetables I think. I was able to work one day a week during my degree. Year 1 I had Wednesday free and later realised all my Tuesday stuff was lectures I could watch online later so used that day. Year 2 I had a few half days where no tutorials to attend to chose from but no completely free days. Luckily work is flexible.
As has been said, it depends greatly on the University and course. Give them a call or send an email, it’s better to get clarity from them.
Hi @Impossible2
I highly recommend contacting your university to find out expected course hours! I recommend having a look on their prospectus as well to see if it has any more information about this. Universities tend to have contact hours eg where you are in lessons and then a set requirement/ suggestions for how many hours you are supposed to study independently outside of lessons. And sometimes the workload can increase and from my experience get quite demanding each year! Sometimes in later years you might have less contact hours and more independent study hours but it really can vary! So I do recommend getting in touch with your university and finding out the contact hours and independent study hours each year and if they recommend working alongside your studies.
Good luck at university!
Lancaster university student ambassador Holly
Reply 5
Thanks for replying. That’s cheered me up a bit. I was worried I would have zero spare time
Reply 6
Thanks for your reply. I will contact the university and find out so I can plan my work schedule as well
They won’t be able to tell you the timetable now though. It may well be x hours but it could be all one day or 2 hours at 11 and 3 every day. You won’t know until September time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending