english language- 8
english literature- 7
history- 8
combined science- 7-7
maths- 6
arabic- 5
creative i- media- L2D (grade 8)
sports- L2D (grade 8)
are these a good strong set of grades to apply for medicine with? as people get 10 9’s, im kinda stressing lol, be blunt and straight up too please.
thanks in advance.
EliteBoy8
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ghostface300)
GCSE results:
english language- 8
english literature- 7
history- 8
combined science- 7-7
maths- 6
arabic- 5
sports- L2D (grade 8)
are these a good strong set of grades to apply for medicine with? as people get 10 9’s, im kinda stressing lol, be blunt and straight up too please.
thanks in advance.
Yes your GCSEs are fine for most university. Avoid “heavy” gcse medical scores, by this I mean universities that use GCSEs in their selection process. Once you have more information, like your UCAT/BMAT score and predicted UCAS grade, post them on TSR, there is a thread for it but I’m not sure which one, and someone will advice you or you can look online yourself.
ghostface300
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by EliteBoy8)
Yes your GCSEs are fine for most university. Avoid “heavy” gcse medical scores, by this I mean universities that use GCSEs in their selection process. Once you have more information, like your UCAT/BMAT score and predicted UCAS grade, post them on TSR, there is a thread for it but I’m not sure which one, and someone will advice you or you can look online yourself.
is my 6 in maths bad? its my only B apart from arabic which no1 even cares about
Cıllıan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
GCSE results:
english language- 8
english literature- 7
history- 8
combined science- 7-7
maths- 6
arabic- 5
sports- L2D (grade 8)
thanks in advance.
Imma be harshly honest with you it might be too low for GCSE based unis like Liverpool unless you are contextual they may let you off abit. Apply strategically by looking for the unis that look at the stronger aspects of your application or look at one's that take all aspects into account. You could definitely get into medicine with those grades though
ghostface300
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cıllıan)
Imma be harshly honest with you it might be too low for GCSE based unis like Liverpool unless you are contextual they may let you off abit. Apply strategically by looking for the unis that look at the stronger aspects of your application or look at one's that take all aspects into account. You could definitely get into medicine with those grades though
i mean i could apply to unis that dont even look at gcses like newcastle and look at unis that just want minimum requirements met and dont take it further from there?
GANFYD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by issyd123)
🌙💫⭐️
Advertising is against TSR rules
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i mean i could apply to unis that dont even look at gcses like newcastle and look at unis that just want minimum requirements met and dont take it further from there?
Yes, but there are not many that accept a 5 in Eng Lang, so resitting opens more options up and means you are not reliant on a very high UCAT
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’ve previously made a thread about applying to do dentistry. Have you chosen to do medicine now or do you have no solid aim and are just applying to the course you think you’re most likely to get accepted into?
Kev14
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lol
Cıllıan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, but as GANFYD said you will need an extremely high UCAT (Top 9-10% I think) to make up for it. If you were going for this type of uni I'd recommend only choosing 1 or 2 of its types because there's 0 guarantee you'll perform the same in the actual UCAT as the practice tests.
ghostface300
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
Yes, but there are not many that accept a 5 in Eng Lang, so resitting opens more options up and means you are not reliant on a very high UCAT
i got an 8 in eng lang??
ghostface300
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cıllıan)
Yes, but as GANFYD said you will need an extremely high UCAT (Top 9-10% I think) to make up for it. If you were going for this type of uni I'd recommend only choosing 1 or 2 of its types because there's 0 guarantee you'll perform the same in the actual UCAT as the practice tests.
all my gcses are 7’s and above? maths is the only 6
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
GCSE results:
english language- 8
english literature- 7
history- 8
combined science- 7-7
maths- 6
arabic- 5
sports- L2D (grade 8)
thanks in advance.
The fact you did combined science and not triple science, and only a 6 in maths I will be honest is not very impressive for medicine, especially considering a heavily intense scientific course, I would expect 9s in maths and triple science or an 8 at the minimum. And do you only have 9 GCSEs? Most people I know did 11 or 12?
Last edited by Ðeggs; 1 month ago
lavender14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i can't say much as i still have to get my results (fingers-crossed they are good) but they seem pretty good overall but yeah a-levels are more important it should be fine but I guess for medicine there are loads of factors to consider such as UCAT BMAT so don't worry too much
ghostface300
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ðeggs)
The fact you did combined science and not triple science, and only a 6 in maths I will be honest is not very impressive for medicine, especially considering a heavily intense scientific course, I would expect 9s in maths and triple science or an 8 at the minimum. And do you only have 9 GCSEs? Most people I know did 11 or 12?
yes, my school only did this much, what if i get AAA+ at a levels? and a good ukat
Pshhhhh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
GCSE results:
english language- 8
english literature- 7
history- 8
combined science- 7-7
maths- 6
arabic- 5
sports- L2D (grade 8)
thanks in advance.
Your grades are really good but it really depends on the university. If you get As and A*s in college you could def do medicine
ghostface300
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pshhhhh)
Your grades are really good but it really depends on the university. If you get As and A*s in college you could def do medicine
this is what bothers me, i get people like you praising my grades, thank u btw, then i got other people criticising then saying there too weak, idk what to make out of em
lavender14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
this is what bothers me, i get people like you praising my grades, thank u btw, then i got other people criticising then saying there too weak, idk what to make out of em
trust me they are good grades some people have views that you need super high grades in everything but I guess in the next stages of applying you have to try your best and then you will definitely get into at least on medical school those grades are absolutely fine some people get rejected from some medical schools with all 9s and a* because other parts of their application weren't that good
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
GCSE results:
english language- 8
english literature- 7
history- 8
combined science- 7-7
maths- 6
arabic- 5
sports- L2D (grade 8)
thanks in advance.
Your GCSEs are fine, you'll just need to apply to less GCSE heavy med schools - so avoid Oxford, Cardiff, Leeds, Liverpool etc.

Schools do not look at GCSEs outside of scoring or to check you meet minimum requirements so there is no need for them to be "impressive" - if you apply to a university like Imperial that only asks for a 6 in Eng Lang, you will be considered exactly the same as someone else with 10 9s.

You can see how med schools used GCSEs in 2021 here, but bear in mind some changes have since been made for 2022 https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...e-requirements
Last edited by becausethenight; 1 month ago
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i got an 8 in eng lang??
Sorry - got my threads mixed up, as there are now so many!

Your GCSEs are unlikely to be good enough for the very GCSE heavy med schools, like Cardiff, Leeds, Oxford and Liverpool, but may be enough for places that score them with UCAT, eg Nottingham, Leicester, Aston, if you have a good UCAT score. Otherwise, you can apply to places that only use them for minimum requirements, provided you make the likely cut off with admissions tests
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (37)
15.16%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (74)
30.33%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (30)
12.3%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (21)
8.61%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.74%
I think it's an unfair expectation (65)
26.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.23%

Watched Threads