The Student Room Group

medicine- are my GCSES competitive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ðeggs
The fact you did combined science and not triple science, and only a 6 in maths I will be honest is not very impressive for medicine, especially considering a heavily intense scientific course, I would expect 9s in maths and triple science or an 8 at the minimum. And do you only have 9 GCSEs? Most people I know did 11 or 12?

Some med schools have no GCSE requirements, some just 4s, others will need 8/9s across the board, so as long as people apply to places that suit their stats, GCSE results per se should not prevent them being shortlisted
Original post by lavender14
i can't say much as i still have to get my results (fingers-crossed they are good) but they seem pretty good overall but yeah a-levels are more important it should be fine but I guess for medicine there are loads of factors to consider such as UCAT BMAT so don't worry too much

A levels are not more important across the board. There are some med schools where they do not look at A levels and some where <*A*A*A* would not have got you shoirtlisted this year. Ditto with GCSEs
Original post by lavender14
trust me they are good grades some people have views that you need super high grades in everything but I guess in the next stages of applying you have to try your best and then you will definitely get into at least on medical school those grades are absolutely fine some people get rejected from some medical schools with all 9s and a* because other parts of their application weren't that good

60% of people - many of whom have stellar stats across the board, do not get even one med school offer every year, so you cannot look at someone's GCSEs and say if they try their best they will definitely get into med school. It would be nice if it worked that way, but it doesn't. Competition is fierce and sadly, effort is not all that is needed for most people
if you apply to a university like Imperial that only asks for a 6 in Eng Lang, you will be considered exactly the same as someone else with 10 9s.

is this 100% true????
Reply 22
Original post by ghostface300
if you apply to a university like Imperial that only asks for a 6 in Eng Lang, you will be considered exactly the same as someone else with 10 9s.

is this 100% true????

110% true! :smile:
(unless there is a tiebreaker situation, in which case they may look at all aspects of an application)
this is what bothers me, i get people like you praising my grades, thank u btw, then i got other people criticising then saying there too weak, idk what to make out of em

What year are you in?
Original post by Muttley79
What year are you in?

11, i know my results because we got provisional results- what our results will most likely look like if approved.
(edited 2 years ago)

So these grades are guesses or are you in Wales?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending