Getting over the fear of learning to drive

Watch
Meritina
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello,

I am a 21 year old female with an anxiety disorder. Ever since I turned the legal age of being able to drive, I have always felt that I was not ready to take the responsibility of it.

Last year I finally started to feel ready to do it but then Covid came along and lockdown meant I would have to wait. Since driving lessons have resumed, my fear has returned. I am scared of all aspects of driving, the fact that I am responsible for a big metal object that could do a lot of harm on the road. I don't know if my fear stems from myself and my own driving, or the driving of others on the road. The roads in the UK are already overcrowded and so busy which adds to my fear...

I know that almost everyone is nervous to start learning, but I think my fear goes far beyond the normal fear as I also have an anxiety disorder which makes me think that my mind would not be in the right place to be responsible of driving a car. I feel I would get anxious of knowing where I am going, of which lane I need to be in, of someone else crashing into me, or my car breaking down.

I know that I need to learn and my family has been pressuring me for a while now, but I don't even think I want a car anyway even if I did pass my test. I would be way more comfortable learning in an automatic but people always dissuade me from doing so due to its limitations; this doesn't necessarily bother me, but I plan to move abroad and most cars in Europe are manual.

My career goal is to work freelance, so I essentially would not need a car to commute to work etc, it would just be for the convenience, but it also makes me feel as though it would be a waste of money if the majority of the time my car would be sat there parked up not moving most of the time during the week.
Last edited by Meritina; 3 months ago
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Meritina)
I know that I need to learn and my family has been pressuring me for a while now, but I don't even think I want a car anyway even if I did pass my test. I would be way more comfortable learning in an automatic but people always dissuade me from doing so due to its limitations; this doesn't necessarily bother me, but I plan to move abroad and most cars in Europe are manual.
you should realise that almost all electric cars are automatic. so learning to drive now on an automatic will help you in the future.
SlaveofAll
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you want to learn to drive, you need someone able to teach you to become calm and composed when driving as well as to know the basic premises in driving.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (26)
13.54%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.69%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
41.15%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (48)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.56%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.81%

Watched Threads