The Student Room Group

Knot theory

Hiya, I'm doing some research on knot theory as I'm going to enter a maths competition at my college, and was wondering how I could prove that the 6 2 knot and the 6 3 knot are not equivalent?

I managed to show that they are different to the 6 1 knot by using tricolourability, but I can't seem to find any other knot invariants which would be easy for me to use on the 6 2 and 6 3 knot.

Although knot theory is a degree level topic, my teacher isn't expecting a degree level response; the question is still aimed at a level maths students.

Any help would be much appreciated! I'd just like some tips or advice which would help nudge me in the right direction, so that I know what to research next :smile:
Original post by Emily.Violet
Hiya, I'm doing some research on knot theory as I'm going to enter a maths competition at my college, and was wondering how I could prove that the 6 2 knot and the 6 3 knot are not equivalent?

I managed to show that they are different to the 6 1 knot by using tricolourability, but I can't seem to find any other knot invariants which would be easy for me to use on the 6 2 and 6 3 knot.

Although knot theory is a degree level topic, my teacher isn't expecting a degree level response; the question is still aimed at a level maths students.

Any help would be much appreciated! I'd just like some tips or advice which would help nudge me in the right direction, so that I know what to research next :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiral_knot this might help you. Of course you could also use any of the polynomials associated with each knot.

Quick Reply

Latest