How to write essay a week at university?

Watch
Whatismylife20
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I had no idea this was the case and I’m hoping to take History. Any tips on how to prepare? Thanks!
elliemay2039
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do law are uni and it is a very essay heavy subject so I feel the pain. My main tips for writing essays with a short turn around is to start by reading your lecture notes on the topic and then use Google scholar to pull up articles with content relating to the topic to inform your opinion and add depth to the notes you already have. Spend at least a day or two reading and researching then plan your answer. The rest of the time I would say you need to give yourself is broken up into writing your essay. My normal tip is write in intervals so on the first day get your introduction done and the first paragraph at least and then try and get another two or more done the second day. I’d also recommend giving yourself at least a half day to ensure you can go back and reference everything correctly.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Whatismylife20)
I had no idea this was the case and I’m hoping to take History. Any tips on how to prepare? Thanks!
Which university/ies is this?
BrDy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It can seem daunting, but remember that history is your only subject now and that's what all your time goes on.
I'd recommend breaking it down and setting targets- e.g. basic research and compiling a reading list for you essay on day 1, reading your reading list and making notes day 2, day 3- finish your reading and start your plan- day 4 refine plan/start writing (or write the whole thing in a day), day 5- off day/finish writing, day 6- check & edit, day 7-submit
Obviously that would just be an example and you'd move things around to fit your schedule etc., but it's not quite as big of a mammoth task as it first appears, especially when history is now your only subject. And history is quite notorious for having very few contact hours hahah.
Last edited by BrDy; 1 month ago
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's hard to start with, but you get used to it. I've had weeks where I've had to write 5-6 essays in a week, and it's not fun and it's really hard to get all the reading in, but once you have a system that works for you, you're off to a good start. You just have to do your best with each essay, though, and accept that not every one is going to be your best one.

Thought I'd edit to add my personal method:
1. Choose my essay question
2. annotate question with all my general thoughts about it prior to doing the reading.
3. go through the reading list and source all the materials I want to use. Typically, I will use 4-6 sources in an essay but I'll read 10-15 depending on time, length and inspiration!
4. Read, take notes and summarise critics' arguments.
5. Go back to my step 2 notes and add to them having done the reading.
6. Write a very detailed essay plan. This is the part which takes the longest, even longer than the essay writing itself sometimes. I make my plans detailed enough that I don't have to think about content at all when I write the essay, just but making it coherent.
7. Write draft 1
8. Write draft 2/ final draft
9. If I have time, proofread before sending in final essay.

This can and will take me as long as I give it, but I have done it in 2-3 days before. 7 days is probably ideal, though! Sometimes you also have to settle for sending in your first draft... I prefer not to, but it is what it is!
Last edited by redmeercat; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads