The Student Room Group

How do I bring this up?

I’ve been having memories of a part of my childhood I want to forget.

Growing up my younger cousin (2 years younger) touched me inappropriately and was violent about it at times. Now I’m starting to realize how serious is was and I’m also worried about what she saw to act like this. But I’m also scared to bring it up after 10ish years. But there’s also so much guilt that I’m the older one so it’s my fault. I just don’t know what to do
This sounds like a problem that will continue to be on your mind until you can find a way to work through it yourself. I recommend potentially looking into seeing a therapist if that is something that is available to you. Maybe hold off on speaking to your cousin so that the relationship is not further damaged with irrational thoughts and words exchanged that don't help solve the root of the problem. Maybe after some time to look at the situation in a new perspective and after getting professional guidance you will be able to speak to your cousin comfortably in a way that builds on the situation constructively and prevents resentment.
Reply 2
Original post by mjohnstone314159
This sounds like a problem that will continue to be on your mind until you can find a way to work through it yourself. I recommend potentially looking into seeing a therapist if that is something that is available to you. Maybe hold off on speaking to your cousin so that the relationship is not further damaged with irrational thoughts and words exchanged that don't help solve the root of the problem. Maybe after some time to look at the situation in a new perspective and after getting professional guidance you will be able to speak to your cousin comfortably in a way that builds on the situation constructively and prevents resentment.

Thank you. I’ve reached out through email to a helpline thing for advice but it’s just the guilt that’s getting to me. It’s stopping me from enjoying every day things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending