Personal Statement Advice (History and Econ)

Watch
Jason03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Earlier this year, I switched my subjects (from physics and fmath to politics and sociology) as I was planning on applying for history not economics.

However, looking at career prospects and my enjoyment at university I feel like doing a mix of both at university (as a law career is still open if I do joint honours right?), but my issue at the moment is how to write my personal statement, I want to apply for:

History at Cambridge & Durham
HPE at UCL
Economics & Economic History (Or just economic history as I dont have fmath) at LSE
History and Political Economy at KCL
History and Economics at York/Manc/Edin/Leeds (and St Andrews if I can)

Obviously these are just those that I've liked the look of the course structure and would like to apply for a mix of these 5, unless I find other courses elsewhere.

But my main issue is having to tailor my PS ideally mainly towards history, which will be focused on economic and political history (probably in 19th century Britain) for Cambridge - but obviously this may mean I run the risk of being rejected (due to my PS) from the other courses and i'm at a bit of a crossroads with with to do.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

I found a really good website, which show you how do you make a good personnel statement.

https://www.topuniversities.com/blog...y-applications

I hope you will find this useful.

Kylie Ng, Student Ambassador
BA Media and Coummincations at Coventry University
Jason03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors)
Thank for your reply, I'm not 100% sure this article, whilst interesting and useful, answers my question.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jason03)
Earlier this year, I switched my subjects (from physics and fmath to politics and sociology) as I was planning on applying for history not economics.

However, looking at career prospects and my enjoyment at university I feel like doing a mix of both at university (as a law career is still open if I do joint honours right?), but my issue at the moment is how to write my personal statement, I want to apply for:

History at Cambridge & Durham
HPE at UCL
Economics & Economic History (Or just economic history as I dont have fmath) at LSE
History and Political Economy at KCL
History and Economics at York/Manc/Edin/Leeds (and St Andrews if I can)

Obviously these are just those that I've liked the look of the course structure and would like to apply for a mix of these 5, unless I find other courses elsewhere.

But my main issue is having to tailor my PS ideally mainly towards history, which will be focused on economic and political history (probably in 19th century Britain) for Cambridge - but obviously this may mean I run the risk of being rejected (due to my PS) from the other courses and i'm at a bit of a crossroads with with to do.
LSE are very particular about their PSs and want them to be completely focused on the subject you are applying for. It is impossible to write a PS that covers a mixture of single and joint honours like this. You could contact the unis and ask if they will accept an alternative PS, but it's not guaranteed and they will see your original
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (74)
22.77%
Excited but a bit nervous (147)
45.23%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.69%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.31%

Watched Threads