what can I do or watch to improve general knowledge

Watch
tired-student
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
does anyone else get worried that they don't know enough about the world or will be in a situation where everyone is talking about something whether it be intellectual or just something in life and you won't be able to have an input. I started thinking about this when I was watching the University challenge. any recommendations on where/what to look/read/watch?
jfmayblossom
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tired-student)
does anyone else get worried that they don't know enough about the world or will be in a situation where everyone is talking about something whether it be intellectual or just something in life and you won't be able to have an input. I started thinking about this when I was watching the University challenge. any recommendations on where/what to look/read/watch?
For me, when applying for a scholarship at my school, we had to have a good knowledge of general knowledge and what’s going on in the world. Reading the news everyday was a massive help!
GreenCub
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A lot of the knowledge that University Challenge contestants have is acquired through either actually studying or reading about the subject of interest. For example, a lot of the science questions are actually either school level or slightly beyond school level, so a good knowledge of even things studied in school can get you decently far. Other things will be things you know from reading particular books/works or just having a general awareness of approximately when certain historical events occurred. And then there are a few things that are mainly got by learning lists of things, like elements of the periodic table, Shakespeare plays or Chinese dynasties but this is mostly done by contestants to make sure they know it in case it comes up.

So the general idea is just to find a few subjects that interest you and read about them. For being able to take part in general discussions, reading the news may also be a good idea.
tired-student
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by GreenCub)
A lot of the knowledge that University Challenge contestants have is acquired through either actually studying or reading about the subject of interest. For example, a lot of the science questions are actually either school level or slightly beyond school level, so a good knowledge of even things studied in school can get you decently far. Other things will be things you know from reading particular books/works or just having a general awareness of approximately when certain historical events occurred. And then there are a few things that are mainly got by learning lists of things, like elements of the periodic table, Shakespeare plays or Chinese dynasties but this is mostly done by contestants to make sure they know it in case it comes up.

So the general idea is just to find a few subjects that interest you and read about them. For being able to take part in general discussions, reading the news may also be a good idea.
Thanks! I enjoy watching the news but do you have any book recommendations?
englishhopeful98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
QI they have really random topics
micholate9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I use the app Flipboard. It shows you news articles from lots of different sources. You can like stuff and then it shows you more similar stuff.
GreenCub
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks! I enjoy watching the news but do you have any book recommendations?
It just depends on what subject areas you're interested in learning about.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Watch planet earth
Stanza03
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
if you ever have a thought or a question just Google it, research the **** out of it until you feel satisfied.

like that's why so many ppl just have random knowledge on stuff
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.15%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.28%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (95)
10.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.4%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.92%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.36%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.06%
Financial worries (61)
6.82%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.26%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.61%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.04%

Watched Threads