12345AW
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
What aspect of a stains chemistry gives it its colour?
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
Hi not an easy Q - sorry no-one has managed to help u for so long!
Let Sheldon come to your rescue!

1. pH can be a relevant chemical aspect of staining of biological specimens - eosin & methylene blue give tissues/cells their characteristic colours cos they inhibit some bacteria but also form a precipitate at low pH.
2. A common stain used in histopathology [sorry more than in microbiology] is H & E [haematoxylin + Eosin] - please google it for possibly useful info.
3. Relevant to your subject is oc the Gram stain - the purple crystal violet-iodine complex in this stain is retained by Gram +ve bacteria cos the thick peptidoglycan cell wall causes retention of the dye so the cells appear purple under the light microscope.

WHEREAS:
In Gram -ve bacteria, the dye is "leached" out of the cell, so the cell would appear colourless except that the safranin in the Gram stain affords it a red colour.
To understand the chemistry/biochemistry of why crystal violet/iodine complex is purple is outside the scope of even Sheldon

SO I KINDLY ASK randombiochemist - thank you in advance man!

4. Hydrolysis of PYR to release free naphthylamide is shown up as red by adding a drop of dimethylaminocinnamaldehyde in the detection of group A beta-haemolytic streptococci [the antibodies produced by the human immune system against this bacterium cross-react with cardiac tissue in rheumatic fever, leading some years later to valvular disease e.g. aortic stenosis].

Be safe!
M.
12345AW
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Thank you so much!!! this really helped
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by 12345AW)
Thank you so much!!! this really helped
My pleasure Amy Wendy OR Andy Will - thanks for the rep!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (9)
11.39%
The paper was reasonable (38)
48.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (25)
31.65%
It was TERRIBLE (7)
8.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise