The Student Room Group

how an ateriole can reduce the blood flow into capillaries

help
arterioles also have a muscular wall which can contract to reduce blood flow to the capillaries or relax to allow more blood into the capillaries.

hope that helps
Reply 2
Original post by plshelpmelol
arterioles also have a muscular wall which can contract to reduce blood flow to the capillaries or relax to allow more blood into the capillaries.

hope that helps

Thank you
Original post by plshelpmelol

hope that helps

Looks like @plshelpmelol is asking for un-needed help looool! :colondollar:
Yes your answer is correct [rep to follow in a sec]; just to add a little more detail to help you and the person destined to fail [he must be a super-pessimist! :mad:] for the extra marks in the synoptic Q:-
a) The muscle you are referring to is oc smooth muscle.
b) The muscle is circular i.e. it runs around the circumference of the arteriole, and hence narrows the vessel when it contracts - called vasoconstriction or dilates the vessel when it relaxes - called vasodilatation.
c) It is innervated by the sympathetic nervous system and the terminal synapse [between the sympathetic neurone and the smooth muscle cell] has a so-called alpha adrenergic receptor on the myocyte on which noradrenaline [the neurotransmitter present in the vesicles of the pre-synaptic neuronal terminal] acts to make the muscle contract.

M
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Yes your answer is correct [rep to follow in a sec]; just to add a little more detail to help you and the person destined to fail [he must be a super-pessimist! :mad:] for the extra marks in the synoptic Q:-
b) The muscle is circular i.e. it runs around the circumference of the arteriole, and hence narrows the vessel when it contracts - called vasoconstriction or dilates the vessel when it relaxes - called vasodilatation.
c) It is innervated by the sympathetic nervous system and the terminal synapse [between the sympathetic neurone and the smooth muscle cell] has a so-called alpha adrenergic receptor on the myocyte on which noradrenaline [the neurotransmitter present in the vesicles of the pre-synaptic neuronal terminal] acts to make the muscle contract.

M

Hi there,

I was under the assumption that the person who asked this question was doing biology AS or A-Level. From what I have learnt as a year 12 student studying AQA biology A-level, this question would come under the topic of mass transport in animals (unit 3) according to the specification. Of course, a simple structure of the arteriole must be known however this much detail is not necessary to gain marks (in paper 1) and therefore somewhat useless for someone who wants to understand the concept. A simple question was asked which is why a simple answer was given.

I genuinely hope this does not come across as rude and I understand you were trying to help but I believe that the additional information could be confusing for someone who was seeking a short, direct answer.

Thank you.
Reply 5
hi yes sorry for the confusion I am a year 12 student studying AS Level, so yes I was looking more for the shorter answer, but thank you so much for answering
b) The muscle is circular i.e. it runs around the circumference of the arteriole, and hence narrows the vessel when it contracts - called or dilates the vessel when it relaxes - called vasodilatation.

M

Absolutely I agree with your viewpoint, and sincere apologies if my additions caused confusion - You are also correct that this Q [probably worth one mark] is adequately answered by your response, which is why I gave you a rep.

I only provide greater detail to my students [apart from TSR] for a few reasons - sorry it will be v difficult for you to understand my unusual style of teaching by reading a few sentences on a web page; however, in a nutshell:-

1. If you look at the first few lines of my post:-

"Yes your answer is correct [rep to follow in a sec]; just to add a little more detail to help you and the person destined to fail [he must be a super-pessimist! :mad:] for the extra marks in the synoptic Q"

in particular the phrase in bold:-

a) The synoptic Q at A2 has a few marks reserved for info outside the syllabus.
b) There is, in my view, no harm in a gentle intro to material that will appear later in your course [you will learn about nerves/synapses/neurotransmitters at some stage].
c) One of my teaching tactics is to constantly cross-link between different parts of the syllabus cos:-
.....i) It is a great memory retention and recall exercise based on association, and on the principles outlined by Tony Buzan in his excellent books
.....ii) A number of Qs at AS and A2 levels requires the student to draw information from various parts of the syllabus, and this technique is good practice at doing this.

2. I believe in teaching a little more detail than is required cos then what is required becomes a trifle [yummy :yum: - sorry about the pun!]

Apologies once again that my answer was confusing - shame that it is impossible to provide my unique teaching on a web page [sorry if this sounds like blowing my own trumpet, but my student's results speak for themselves]..

Best of luck in your exams, and your reply was not rude but rather very relevant and valid!
M.
Absolutely I agree with your viewpoint, and sincere apologies if my additions caused confusion - You are also correct that this Q [probably worth one mark] is adequately answered by your response, which is why I gave you a rep.

I only provide greater detail to my students [apart from TSR] for a few reasons - sorry it will be v difficult for you to understand my unusual style of teaching by reading a few sentences on a web page; however, in a nutshell:-

1. If you look at the first few lines of my post:-

"Yes your answer is correct [rep to follow in a sec]; just to add a little more detail to help you and the person destined to fail [he must be a super-pessimist! :mad:] for the extra marks in the synoptic Q"

in particular the phrase in bold:-

a) The synoptic Q at A2 has a few marks reserved for info outside the syllabus.
b) There is, in my view, no harm in a gentle intro to material that will appear later in your course [you will learn about nerves/synapses/neurotransmitters at some stage].
c) One of my teaching tactics is to constantly cross-link between different parts of the syllabus cos:-
.....i) It is a great memory retention and recall exercise based on association, and on the principles outlined by Tony Buzan in his excellent books
.....ii) A number of Qs at AS and A2 levels requires the student to draw information from various parts of the syllabus, and this technique is good practice at doing this.

2. I believe in teaching a little more detail than is required cos then what is required becomes a trifle [yummy :yum: - sorry about the pun!]

Apologies once again that my answer was confusing - shame that it is impossible to provide my unique teaching on a web page [sorry if this sounds like blowing my own trumpet, but my student's results speak for themselves]..

Best of luck in your exams, and your reply was not rude but rather very relevant and valid!
M.

Thank you for explaining! Sorry about that :smile:
It's OK - when a young student is beckoning NOT ONLY "PLEASE HELP ME!" BUT IN ADDITION "Laughing Out Loud", how can one resist providing assistance?

Keep laughing [out loud] :lol: cos that activity releases endorphins & encephalins in your body [chemicals that make one feel good] just like exercise does!

"Oh no!" he/she goes, "this guy will just not stop bombarding us with technical words!"

Sheldon replies: ":sorry: !"

DW - no need to remember these names AT ALL for A level! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest