Gym help!!!

Watch
Rayku
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm gonna try and keep this short,
I'm an 18 year old male, and I've lost a lot of my gains I made last year prior to second lockdown, I used to be 58kg in the first lockdown and I went gym for straight 5 months from reopening and went up to 70kg whilst bulking in size, it was my goal to then reach 75kg and I was breaking my avg weight set nearly every other day until gyms closed again.

Soon when they opened it was Ramadan so I was fasting and so my stomach shrank as I was eating less, I still continued going gym but by the second week it became difficult to do so, so I stopped with final exams around the corner then as well. I ended up dropping down to 62kg (lost 7kg in Ramadan).

Now that schools over, I've been meaning to get back into gym but I get tired very quickly as I can't eat as many meals as before (4-5 meals before, now 2-3) as I wasn't working my body as much. Even now I don't have much time to go gym as I'm working two jobs so I've decided to try do home work outs and maybe pursue calisthenics until I start uni when I'll have a more structured time table to start gym again.

I apologize for the long winded story but I tried to keep it as short as possible, any advice on how I can regain my strength at home as even now I struggle with pull ups and pressups, which I've slowly started to do every few days to keep in shape.
I have dumbbells and a barbell at home as well as the multi pull up bar if that is of any help.
Quick note : I was used to doing upper and lower splits before back in gym.

Thank you for any advice given.
bridgesm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rayku)
I'm gonna try and keep this short,
I'm an 18 year old male, and I've lost a lot of my gains I made last year prior to second lockdown, I used to be 58kg in the first lockdown and I went gym for straight 5 months from reopening and went up to 70kg whilst bulking in size, it was my goal to then reach 75kg and I was breaking my avg weight set nearly every other day until gyms closed again.

Soon when they opened it was Ramadan so I was fasting and so my stomach shrank as I was eating less, I still continued going gym but by the second week it became difficult to do so, so I stopped with final exams around the corner then as well. I ended up dropping down to 62kg (lost 7kg in Ramadan).

Now that schools over, I've been meaning to get back into gym but I get tired very quickly as I can't eat as many meals as before (4-5 meals before, now 2-3) as I wasn't working my body as much. Even now I don't have much time to go gym as I'm working two jobs so I've decided to try do home work outs and maybe pursue calisthenics until I start uni when I'll have a more structured time table to start gym again.

I apologize for the long winded story but I tried to keep it as short as possible, any advice on how I can regain my strength at home as even now I struggle with pull ups and pressups, which I've slowly started to do every few days to keep in shape.
I have dumbbells and a barbell at home as well as the multi pull up bar if that is of any help.
Quick note : I was used to doing upper and lower splits before back in gym.

Thank you for any advice given.
Hi,
Strength and gains result from progressive overload and recovery. If you can do 10 pushups a set, either pump yourself up and explode for 12, and eventually it will become easier for example. There are many strategies you can use to achieve progressive overload: Frequency, intensity, duration, exercise difficulty, compound Vs isolation etc etc.

Also use your old standards as a guide. If I pull-up requires tricep and trap pulling, what easier exercise can you do that does that same? Then push the reps, push the explosivtivity etc until you can get back to even one rep of your exercise. No change results in no change, remember this when things get labourious.
Regarding recovery, it's even less appealing with two jobs, but much more important as you'll be awake and on your feet more. So, whilst it's less appealing, stretching, sleeping and nutrition must be more focused upon. Time management is the key, so if you can sleep on your breaks to supplement lack of sleep, do so, not perfect, but the closer you are to perfect recovery, the better.

You clearly have some knowledge, so perhaps believe in yourself more than you do already, if you can hack two jobs, gaining mass and fitness from where you are should be a piece of cake.

M.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ask a fitness trainer at the gym for some tailored fitness advice. They can help and support you. Find some good fitness classes too or sign up as a fee paying member so you can use the pool and so on. Make sure to take a bottle of water or a energy drink/snack each time and also bring a clean nice towel as well. Request a full gym induction. Most towns have a community council funded and run leisure centre which is dedicated to all of your fitness needs. Start there. Ensure you warm up and cool down. Ease yourself into exercise slowly however. Remember it takes time.
deadlift_noob
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
With the pullups try controlling the negative. Start from the top and resist going down for reps if that makes any sense, additionally you could also get some resistance bands to help support the weight and slowly build your way up (just be careful they don't hit a certain area )

Different pushup variations, you build up to but don't expect to be doing these in a week it takes time but slowly work up to different variations and other bodyweight exercises etc...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (56)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.65%
No I am happy with my choice (109)
55.61%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed