dannyshiers
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi there,
I am looking at studying 3 distanced A Levels with Open Study College as I would like to do an LLB in Law.

I was thinking of doing History, Economics and Business.
I wanted one really heavy one and two lighter subjects.

Would these three present me as a good candidate, if I were to get high grades? If not, what subjects would you recommend.

What are your experiences with Open Study College? Would you recommend any other distanced learner centres? I plan on fully utilising CGP and recommended books and textbooks.
dannyshiers
Rep:
?
(Original post by aistudent)
Definitivamente
I’m not sure what you mean.
aistudent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dannyshiers)
I’m not sure what you mean.
Those subjects are great for law
dannyshiers
Rep:
?
(Original post by aistudent)
Those subjects are great for law
Thanks. It's good to hear.
Any ideas as to how good OSC actually are?
Johnny ~
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there,
I am looking at studying 3 distanced A Levels with Open Study College as I would like to do an LLB in Law.

I was thinking of doing History, Economics and Business.
I wanted one really heavy one and two lighter subjects.

Would these three present me as a good candidate, if I were to get high grades? If not, what subjects would you recommend.

What are your experiences with Open Study College? Would you recommend any other distanced learner centres? I plan on fully utilising CGP and recommended books and textbooks.
What universities will you be applying to eventually? The consensus is that it doesn't really matter but some express an interest in applicants having done at least one essay subject (which you have) or being able to demonstrate equivalent essay writing skills.
dannyshiers
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
What universities will you be applying to eventually? The consensus is that it doesn't really matter but some express an interest in applicants having done at least one essay subject (which you have) or being able to demonstrate equivalent essay writing skills.
Thank you for your reply.
I'm not one thousand percent sure, but some aspirational, some solid and one insurance. Most likely QMUL and UCL, SOAS and Royal Holloway and another. I contacted QMUL and they told me to do History in some 'unofficial' advice
Johnny ~
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your reply.
I'm not one thousand percent sure, but some aspirational, some solid and one insurance. Most likely QMUL and UCL, SOAS and Royal Holloway and another. I contacted QMUL and they told me to do History in some 'unofficial' advice
I don't think that SOAS and RHUL will be in a position to tell you to do one thing or another rigidly... it's very much a buyer's market for universities like them.

I honestly think that the biggest risk is that Business Studies will be seen as a bit of a 'soft' option by universities like UCL, but only because it was historically seen as a non-facilitating subject (a classification which died out years ago). You might want to email the rest of them and see what they think. Either way, picking subjects you'd enjoy and be willing to go the extra mile for is what will get you closer to A* and A you need.
dannyshiers
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
I don't think that SOAS and RHUL will be in a position to tell you to do one thing or another rigidly... it's very much a buyer's market for universities like them.

I honestly think that the biggest risk is that Business Studies will be seen as a bit of a 'soft' option by universities like UCL, but only because it was historically seen as a non-facilitating subject (a classification which died out years ago). You might want to email the rest of them and see what they think. Either way, picking subjects you'd enjoy and be willing to go the extra mile for is what will get you closer to A* and A you need.
Thank you for your help. I will see what they say - best to know from the horses mouth!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.74%
Excited but a bit nervous (145)
45.17%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.84%
I'm really nervous (65)
20.25%

Watched Threads