Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I did my GCSE's in 2017 and A-levels in 2019. I failed my A levels and I failed 2 GCSE's (I got 8 GCSE's). I took a gap year autumn 2019-2020.

I did Access course this year but all my grades are merit. I never applied to university
shooonthebeat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I did my GCSE's in 2017 and A-levels in 2019. I failed my A levels and I failed 2 GCSE's (I got 8 GCSE's). I took a gap year autumn 2019-2020.

I did Access course this year but all my grades are merit. I never applied to university
8 GCSEs are fine, honestly GCSEs are pretty irrelevant after school anyways unless you're doing something like medicine. As long as you've got your 5 A* - C then it's fine. What's an access course? Is that a level 3? You can actually get into a lot of uni courses with MMM at level 3 but obviously the requirements for different courses can vary. Depending on what you wanna do at uni, you may or may not need better grades.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by shooonthebeat)
8 GCSEs are fine, honestly GCSEs are pretty irrelevant after school anyways unless you're doing something like medicine. As long as you've got your 5 A* - C then it's fine. What's an access course? Is that a level 3? You can actually get into a lot of uni courses with MMM at level 3 but obviously the requirements for different courses can vary. Depending on what you wanna do at uni, you may or may not need better grades.
I am dumb and work twice as hard as others
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
I passed my GCSEs and never even revised for it. Failed my A-Levels though. I suggest you go into IT & technology - you'll be far more financially successful than most Oxbridge students. In my experience, academics is worthless (in my industry).
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
I passed my GCSEs and never even revised for it. Failed my A-Levels though. I suggest you go into IT & technology - you'll be far more financially successful than most Oxbridge students. In my experience, academics is worthless (in my industry).
What did you do after failing A-Levels?
Anonymous #1
How can I study IT? What course would I do?

Plus I already took out a loan for my level 3 access course.
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by urlocalinmate)
Luckily I was doing a CCNA course at the time as well. I became CCNA certified at 17. I got into university because the admissions tutor happened to be a lecturer and said he would accept it on that basis. I did computer science at university. After I started working, my education history never came up ever again. I have interviewed and hired many senior engineers and not once have I ever gone through their education history. Experience is what matters most. For younger people starting out in their career, I strongly recommend prioritising apprenticeships rather than university, and if university, then prioritise a placement year or any relevant commercial work experience. When you start working in the real world, no one cares about your education history and it won't come up.
shooonthebeat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am dumb and work twice as hard as others
Don't be hard on yourself man. Things are just naturally to easier some than others, nothing wrong with it.
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago

Depends what you prefer. For me it began with backend APIs, and I used PHP because it was popular and free. After that I branched into cloud infrastructure, automation, deployments with CI/CD, databases, servers (linux) etc.

For IT, you don't need to study anything, you need to actually do stuff and develop stuff - Udemy, GitHub and StackOverflow are your friends. Do tons of side projects.
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
If you would like to know more about my journey in IT & technology - I have made a thread here:

I've worked in IT & technology for 10 years - Ask Me Anything - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7042978
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago

(Original post by urlocalinmate)
If you would like to know more about my journey in IT & technology - I have made a thread here:

I've worked in IT & technology for 10 years - Ask Me Anything - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7042978
Anonymous #1
Depends what you prefer. For me it began with backend APIs, and I used PHP because it was popular and free. After that I branched into cloud infrastructure, automation, deployments with CI/CD, databases, servers (linux) etc.

For IT, you don't need to study anything, you need to actually do stuff and develop stuff - Udemy, GitHub and StackOverflow are your friends. Do tons of side projects.
But that sounds even harder than academic and studying
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I've worked in IT & technology for 10 years - Ask Me Anything - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...978&p=95402966
Cheers
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
But that sounds even harder than academic and studying
Oh it's definitely hard work. Nothing in life comes easy. I happen to enjoy all things tech related. It's my passion in life.

Sorry, but there's no easy way to life. You gotta find your passion and make the most of it!
Anonymous #1
Oh it's definitely hard work. Nothing in life comes easy. I happen to enjoy all things tech related. It's my passion in life.

Sorry, but there's no easy way to life. You gotta find your passion and make the most of it!
How much money does it bring you every month?
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
How much money does it bring you every month?
Currently take home is about £7K after tax each month. This varies depending on the contract or perm role I'm on. I switch things up all the time. In a few weeks this will be a different figure.
Anonymous #1
Currently take home is about £7K after tax each month. This varies depending on the contract or perm role I'm on. I switch things up all the time. In a few weeks this will be a different figure.
Wow. that is a lot. But you are smart so that's why you are earning £7k
Final Fantasy
Report 1 month ago
Wow. that is a lot. But you are smart so that's why you are earning £7k
I wouldn't say smart - it's just skillsets and experiences that take time. It's the commercial experience you acquire over the years. For IT & tech roles, the take home pay will only ever increase as the years go by. When I first started contracting it was only around £300 + VAT per day, but now it's more than double. For permanent roles in London, you can get into 6 figures.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (21)
29.17%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.72%
No I am happy with my choice (40)
55.56%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.56%

Watched Threads