Should I pay more rent to live alone, or less rent to live with people I don't know?

Watch
Zackary12345
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Should I pay more money on rent to live alone, or less money on rent to live with a collection of people that I don't know?

I am a mature student reaching their mid twenties and am desperate to live on my own for once - my own space, privacy, freedom (e.g. being able to sing and write songs as loud as I want, when I want to). A place where I can tidy up/ keep clean and it stays that way, or leave food in the fridge knowing that it won't get touched.

However, although I am a huge fan of solitude, I know that I may miss out on the social aspect of what university life is all about. But I am almost in my mid twenties and feel that there would be quite an age gap between me and most other students (in halls or in a house share).

I don't want to sign up to a house share especially when I don't even know the people I could be sharing with, you know what I mean? Due to Covid I wasn't able to attend university for the first year so wasn't able to meet anyone to make friends with...Online whatsapps aren't really the same.

The downside is that it costs way more to live alone, especially in the south, than it would be to do a house share with a group of people. As a second year student the university have said I wouldn't be able to live in halls either.

Any advice?
Last edited by Zackary12345; 1 month ago
MysticalCreature
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hmm, well you sharing a house with people will only be a temporary thing while you study, but if you are extremely uncomfortable with living strangers then maybe living alone will be a better option. But you should definitely keep looking around for both options
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zackary12345)
Should I pay more money on rent to live alone, or less money on rent to live with a collection of people that I don't know?

I am a mature student reaching their mid twenties and am desperate to live on my own for once - my own space, privacy, freedom (e.g. being able to sing and write songs as loud as I want, when I want to). A place where I can tidy up/ keep clean and it stays that way, or leave food in the fridge knowing that it won't get touched.

However, although I am a huge fan of solitude, I know that I may miss out on the social aspect of what university life is all about. But I am almost in my mid twenties and feel that there would be quite an age gap between me and most other students (in halls or in a house share).

I don't want to sign up to a house share especially when I don't even know the people I could be sharing with, you know what I mean? Due to Covid I wasn't able to attend university for the first year so wasn't able to meet anyone to make friends with...Online whatsapps aren't really the same.

The downside is that it costs way more to live alone, especially in the south, than it would be to do a house share with a group of people. As a second year student the university have said I wouldn't be able to live in halls either.

Any advice?
Which Uni do you go to?
Balls_Deep_in_U
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Any advice?
How old are you?

Im a mature student and i found most of the undergrads too immature, was so glad i didnt live with them.
mayacerise
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I’m starting uni this September, I’m 21 so I just qualify as a mature student and with the course I’m doing, I most certainly feel like one haha. I was previously looking at living in halls but I’ve done all that once before with my previous degree so because I’m older paired with the course I’m doing, I just want my own place again like you said to sing songs as loud as I want and to keep as clean and tidy as I want. So because of this, I’ve opted to booking a studio flat on my own, I find that it would be best suited for me although it is a lot more expensive (£125pw compared to £99pw) I think it is worth while because I just enjoy my own space and I don’t have to worry about the potential 6 other people I would be living with if I chose a flat with them. That’s just my opinion though, definitely go with what you want! X
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Trust your gut instinct and listen to what you feelings are telling you.
If you have sufficient savings or income to live alone- go for it.
I've been living alone in London for several years and will never go back to the student houseshare days of a shared bathroom, kitchen and communal fridge.
I used to live in an undergrad houseshare with six housemates, two dogs and one bathroom. :mad2::mad2::mad2:
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would choose to live alone providing I still had enough to live on after paying rent.
Last edited by black tea; 1 month ago
SLS123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You have literally described my situation this year. I'll be starting first year in september at the age of 23.

After a lot of back and forth I decided to opt for private student accommodation (ensuite sharing a kitchen with 5 others). As much as I love spending time alone - I'm very introverted - I do think it's a good opportunity for me to try something outside of my comfort zone. Just hope I haven't made a bad decision!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Any advice?
Hi! Zackary12345

I was in a similar predicament to you recently, going into studying for my masters. Almost a mature student I wanted to live close to uni but didn't have the money to live alone (like you say it's more expensive).
I contacted my university housing team and they had a page to help mature students find each other and house share. As living with younger students isn't usually ideal. I would try doing this as they can be really helpful. It also helps by letting you get to know the people before committing to a house (advertise what sort of people you are looking for).

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i hated living with other students during uni. they were noisy, party till late night and always drunk. The kitchen is quite a sight every saturday and sunday morning , with trash everywhere and broken glasses on the floor

and they ate my food without asking for my permission

and they let random strangers into the flat.

Find someone decent if you are going to live with other students
Last edited by HucktheForde; 1 month ago
Zackary12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
Which Uni do you go to?
Royal Holloway
Zackary12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi! Zackary12345

I was in a similar predicament to you recently, going into studying for my masters. Almost a mature student I wanted to live close to uni but didn't have the money to live alone (like you say it's more expensive).
I contacted my university housing team and they had a page to help mature students find each other and house share. As living with younger students isn't usually ideal. I would try doing this as they can be really helpful. It also helps by letting you get to know the people before committing to a house (advertise what sort of people you are looking for).

I hope this helps!
Hi Chloe, thanks for your answer. Where do you recommend advertising for house mates? And do you have any advice on what the advertisement should state? Cheers
Zackary12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by SLS123)
You have literally described my situation this year. I'll be starting first year in september at the age of 23.

After a lot of back and forth I decided to opt for private student accommodation (ensuite sharing a kitchen with 5 others). As much as I love spending time alone - I'm very introverted - I do think it's a good opportunity for me to try something outside of my comfort zone. Just hope I haven't made a bad decision!
It's such a difficult situation, I have been thinking about it for months. I wanted to find maybe two others to get a house with so there is less people - 5 others seems like quite a leap for me (an introvert also), especially if I don't know them in any way whatsoever. Definitely respect the choice to do something out of your comfort zone!

There is a great channel which I think you may like on Youtube, called Charisma on Command. Plenty of advice for introverts and building confidence
Zackary12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Trust your gut instinct and listen to what you feelings are telling you.
If you have sufficient savings or income to live alone- go for it.
I've been living alone in London for several years and will never go back to the student houseshare days of a shared bathroom, kitchen and communal fridge.
I used to live in an undergrad houseshare with six housemates, two dogs and one bathroom. :mad2::mad2::mad2:
Thanks! I am steering towards living alone. Did you ever live alone during your time at university?
Zackary12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by mayacerise)
Hey! I’m starting uni this September, I’m 21 so I just qualify as a mature student and with the course I’m doing, I most certainly feel like one haha. I was previously looking at living in halls but I’ve done all that once before with my previous degree so because I’m older paired with the course I’m doing, I just want my own place again like you said to sing songs as loud as I want and to keep as clean and tidy as I want. So because of this, I’ve opted to booking a studio flat on my own, I find that it would be best suited for me although it is a lot more expensive (£125pw compared to £99pw) I think it is worth while because I just enjoy my own space and I don’t have to worry about the potential 6 other people I would be living with if I chose a flat with them. That’s just my opinion though, definitely go with what you want! X
Hey mayacerise, yeah I have also been looking at studios and 1 beds. I am in the Surrey area though so it is soo expensive - around 800 per month! I do think my own space is worth it, I thrive on my own compared to when with a group of people I may not like
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks! I am steering towards living alone. Did you ever live alone during your time at university?
Yes.
I lived in mixed houseshares for most of my undergrad.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Chloe, thanks for your answer. Where do you recommend advertising for house mates? And do you have any advice on what the advertisement should state? Cheers
Hi!

No worries!
I would contact your university housing team. They might have their own webpage where students of only that university will advertise and you'll be given a code to access this.
Or they will invite you to a private Facebook page for only that university to advertise. There should be lots of other students this time of year still looking, especially mature and postgrad students.

a simple advertisement should state what year of study you'll be, a mature student and the fact that you're a friendly person looking to live with similar people who are looking for a calm tidy household. I would state what you want for housemates but in a friendly manner, as it's best to be honest. You'll find people will do this too and usually say whether they're a party or quiet group of people.

I hope this helps!
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Royal Holloway
I've been to the Royal Holloway campus, it's very nice there.

If you were able to live on your own, how much would you be able to spend on accommodation each month?
Last edited by Kerzen; 1 month ago
mayacerise
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey mayacerise, yeah I have also been looking at studios and 1 beds. I am in the Surrey area though so it is soo expensive - around 800 per month! I do think my own space is worth it, I thrive on my own compared to when with a group of people I may not like
Hey! Ahh Surrey, I’m going to Sheffield so that’s a bit of a price difference! 800 pm is so expensive but when you weigh up all the other factors, I would much rather pay that and like you said thrive on your own compared to the constant hassle you’d most likely have when living with people x
Zackary12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
I've been to the Royal Holloway campus, it's very nice there.

If you were able to live on your own, how much would you be able to spend on accommodation each month?
I get near the highest maintenaince loan, so may have to cut out on some items. Looks like I may have to get a part time job as well. But, on the good side all bills are included so would only really need to worry about food etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
5.41%
No I am happy with my choice (22)
59.46%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (2)
5.41%

Watched Threads