username5786815
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have 6 9's, 2 8's, and 1 7 at GCSE and am predicted A*,A,B alongside an EPQ (no predicted grade)
My references from college are great and my PS is pretty good
I'm applying to geography (predicted A*) at:
York - AAB (top choice)
Sheffield - AAB
Leeds - AAB
Huddersfield - BCC

I'm also from a "deprived" area if that will affect my chances at all
What are my chances at an unconditional offer from any of these?
Has anyone got an unconditional for geography without already having A-level grades?
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Universities are being discouraged from giving out unconditional offers unless someone has already achieved the grades, as this can lead to students being swayed by the grade conditions and making poor choices. As such, I’d imagine an unconditional offer is unlikely.

However, if you are from a ‘deprived’ area, then you may be offered a contextual offer, which may ask for lower grades than the standard offer. This isn’t guaranteed though and may be worth asking the university whether this is something you’re eligible for (although to be clear, this is done automatically and isn’t something you would apply for).
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TwelfthKeiran)
I have 6 9's, 2 8's, and 1 7 at GCSE and am predicted A*,A,B alongside an EPQ (no predicted grade)
York - AAB (top choice)
Sheffield - AAB
Leeds - AAB
Huddersfield - BCC

Has anyone got an unconditional for geography without already having A-level grades?
Univerisities will generally only give out unconditional offers to applicants with pending AL's if they are struggling to recruit to the course.

You would need to contact the uni's above and ask them if they give unconditional offers, and if so under what circumstances. Include the course(s) you are looking at.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You wont get an Unconditional offer because of any perceived 'disadvantage' - however, if your reference includes info about your personal circumstances, and you qualify for a Contextual offer from that Uni because of home postcode etc, you may get 'extra consideration' in terms of getting an offer.
cchloepx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How you can get an unconditional: have the grades/ucas points/etc. The uni has asked for

How to get a conditional offer: not yet have the grades the uni has asked for, but are working towards them and may achieve them. if you so achieve them your offer will become unconditional on results day.

So you will not be able to get an unconditional in most situations.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username5786815)
York - AAB (top choice)
Sheffield - AAB
Leeds - AAB
Huddersfield - BCC

Why do you need an unconditional offer? Do you think you’ll get below your predictions and the standard offer conditions for those universities?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
30%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.09%
No I am happy with my choice (60)
54.55%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.36%

Watched Threads