The Student Room Group

Accounting

I'm planning to study LLB Law and I just wanted to do a bit of research into possible careers outside of law and academia. I have found that many law graduates have found a career in and been successful as a chartered accountant.

To my understanding so far from looking at the site of 'icaew' I would need to complete to complete 450 days of work experience with an authorised employer and 15 exam modules to get an ACA qualification. You'd have to secure a training agreement with an employer.

I've done a lot of research on how to enter and progress into the field but with such a lot of information it is a bit confusing. There are a lot of pathways into the field. It'd be great if I could discuss it with someone.
Realistically you just apply to a big 4 grad scheme (or top 10) and it’s all done for you. Look in sites for kpmg or bio or pwc.

(25 years accountant here and just done llb for interest)
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine1973
Realistically you just apply to a big 4 grad scheme (or top 10) and it’s all done for you. Look in sites for kpmg or bio or pwc.

(25 years accountant here and just done llb for interest)

Thank you for the help! I really understand what you mean now by that :biggrin:
Original post by adc341
I'm planning to study LLB Law and I just wanted to do a bit of research into possible careers outside of law and academia. I have found that many law graduates have found a career in and been successful as a chartered accountant.

To my understanding so far from looking at the site of 'icaew' I would need to complete to complete 450 days of work experience with an authorised employer and 15 exam modules to get an ACA qualification. You'd have to secure a training agreement with an employer.

I've done a lot of research on how to enter and progress into the field but with such a lot of information it is a bit confusing. There are a lot of pathways into the field. It'd be great if I could discuss it with someone.

I'm in my first year of a training agreement with a Big Four firm and more than happy to help in any way I can. I also studied Law at university, at the time intending to go into that profession, but now I have found myself working in audit and enjoying it very much.

That aside, a Law degree opens you up to a huge array of potential careers. Also, do not worry about the process about going through the ACA, etc. I had exactly the same thoughts as you but once you are in, as the other commenter has said, everything is pretty much done for you. Just get the work done, pass the exams, and Bob's your uncle
Original post by adc341

If you want to get into accounting, screw the big names.
Get a junior role with a local regional accounting firm and get them to fund your training.

Start by doing the AAT level 2 bookkeeping course. If they won't sponsor you, you may be able to do it through a local college. This will give you a good introduction to basic double-entry bookkeeping and prepare you for the AAT level 3 full accounting course.

Some people choose to then move from Level 3 AAT to go on to ACCA.
2 things here:

1. Firstly, do ACCA rather than ICAEW. It's more globally recognised.
2. Do AAT level 4 before you go on to ACCA.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by mathperson
Get a junior role with a local regional accounting firm and get them to fund your training.

Start by doing the AAT level 2 bookkeeping course. If they won't sponsor you, you may be able to do it through a local college. This will give you a good introduction to basic double-entry bookkeeping and prepare you for the AAT level 3 full accounting course.

2 things here:

I don't agree with this advice. This is a good route into accounting for someone with no A-Levels, it's not a good way in for a law graduate. You will spend literally years studying modules at a GCSE or A-Level standard before you begin studying at a professional level and the experience you will gain will be in a firm no one has heard of which means your CV won't stand out if you want to make Finance Director one day.

The most lucrative entry to accounting is Big 4 (Deloitte, EY, PwC, KPMG). The next best thing is top 10 and Grant Thornton, BDO and RSM in particular are worth a look.

Also, ICAEW is more prestigious than ACCA. I'm not going to get into a lengthy discussion about which is harder because they basically cover the same material and frankly I have no idea if one is harder than the other. What I do know though is that I've seen job adverts requiring only ACAs, I've never seen one for only ACCAs. If there is snobbery out there for good reasons or bad, you might as well keep all the doors open and do ICAEW.

ICAEW is also more prestigious in every country with a member of the Global Accounting Alliance. ACCA in contrast seems to have more of a reputation that the ICAEW in Africa, the Middle East and parts of Asia (but not Singapore or Hong Kong). I have no idea why.
Reply 6

2 things here:

I dont think I agree with this advice so far as the OP is concerned. Assuming you have high grades at A level I think its preferable to go straight into ACA/ ACCA or CIMA - particularly if you can get an apprenticeship which allows you to be fully qualified in 4 years.

Again, for a graduate the problem with the AAT route is that it takes too long and for someone with good academics is too gentle an introduction. I can see how AAT covers material which the professional institutes don't (so can be advantageous) but wouldn't fancy spending that many years studying.
Original post by ajj2000
I dont think I agree with this advice so far as the OP is concerned. Assuming you have high grades at A level I think its preferable to go straight into ACA/ ACCA or CIMA - particularly if you can get an apprenticeship which allows you to be fully qualified in 4 years.

Again, for a graduate the problem with the AAT route is that it takes too long and for someone with good academics is too gentle an introduction. I can see how AAT covers material which the professional institutes don't (so can be advantageous) but wouldn't fancy spending that many years studying.

I see where you're coming from.
It all comes down to

a. How fast the OP can get through it (I got through AAT level 3 in 3 months!)

b. What level the OP wants to start at.
It's all well and good wanting to start at ACCA level but the OP isn't doing an accounting degree. Not having the fundamental double-entry knowledge means he could struggle if he pitches himself too high at first.
But you get taught double entry when you join your firm. I did an accounting degree, we didn’t do debits and credits and how to do a tb then. That was when I started my training contract.
Passed this exam an hour ago, no hands on experience with using CIMA f3, p3 & e3 exam from using the free trial to practice for the test.

I used: Passexam4sure
(edited 2 years ago)
But you get taught double entry when you join your firm. I did an accounting degree, we didn’t do debits and credits and how to do a tb then. That was when I started my training contract.

You did an accounting degree and yet you didn't do debits and credits (dead clic) or tb?!
What on Earth did they teach you instead.

Quote me otherwise I may not see your reply.
You did an accounting degree and yet you didn't do debits and credits (dead clic) or tb?!
What on Earth did they teach you instead.

Quote me otherwise I may not see your reply.

It was 25 years ago now but it covered accounting concepts and law and business theory. Plus statistics and economics. Doing double entry and producing a tb/ balance sheet wasn’t part of it. Too low level for a degree I assume? It’s pretty mechanical doing that bit.
It was 25 years ago now but it covered accounting concepts and law and business theory. Plus statistics and economics. Doing double entry and producing a tb/ balance sheet wasn’t part of it. Too low level for a degree I assume? It’s pretty mechanical doing that bit.

It may be considered too low level for a degree, but it's also fundamental. I cannot believe an accounting degree would not teach you this stuff.
Hi everyone, I was accepted into the Big 4 And have posted some videos on YouTube on my tips on how to pass the application process as well as give hints on one of the hardest questions I was asked on all of my applications. The link to my channel is here: https://youtube.com/channel/UCYCgx6cKa0DeOLem2oq8BaQ

Please feel free to comment any questions you have on my videos and I'm more than happy to help as best I can. I'll be posting more videos too on the application processes so please subscribe too! I wish you all the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending