The Student Room Group

Summer 2021 Anime Preview

Spring 2021 has been one of the best seasons for anime that I can remember in a long, long time. But all good things must come to an end, and here are the new shows that will soon be taking their place!

(These series are all due to start airing in the first few weeks of July. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

-

100-man no Inochi Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru 2nd Season

Bokutachi no Remake

Cheat Kusushi no Slow Life: Isekai ni Tsukurou Drugstore

D_Cide Traumerei the Animation

Deatte 5-byou de Battle

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki

Getter Robo Arc

Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu

IDOLiSH7: Third Beat!

Jahy-sama wa Kujikenai!

Kageki Shoujo!!

Kaizoku Oujo

Kanojo mo

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon S

Love Live! Superstar!!

Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden 2nd Season

Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Megami-ryou no Ryoubo-kun.

Meikyuu Black Company

2041 Night Head

Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... X

Peach Boy Riverside

Re-Main

Scarlet Nexus

Seirei Gensouki

Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid

Shiroi Suna no Aquatope

Sonny Boy

Tantei wa Mou, Shindeiru.

2 Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken 2nd Season Part

Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu

2 Tsukipro The Animation

Uramichi Oniisan

Vanitas no Carte

-

All the info has been sourced from AniChart, AniDB, AniList, Youtube and MAL. If you think I've missed any upcoming full-length TV anime off this list, let me know and I'll look into them. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Watching:

Peach Boy Riverside

Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... X

Vanitas no Carte

Kageki Shoujo!!

Shiroi Suna no Aquatope

D_Cide Traumerei the Animation

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon S

Meikyuu Black Company

Deatte 5-byou de Battle

Re-Main

Sonny Boy

Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi

Bokutachi no Remake

Uramichi Oniisan

Dropped:

100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru 2nd Season

Tantei wa Mou, Shindeiru.
(edited 2 years ago)
Trailer replaced for Scarlet Nexus:

[video="youtube;4ms6GKOmRkk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ms6GKOmRkk[/video]
Getter Robo Arc?! is that a remake of an old-fashioned anime or what is planning with it?
Original post by Kallisto
Getter Robo Arc?! is that a remake of an old-fashioned anime or what is planning with it?

More of a sequel than a remake, the fifth series in the main continuity.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
More of a sequel than a remake, the fifth series in the main continuity.

I didn't know that four sequels already existed. Always thought that Getter Robo is an ongoing anime in one go. I wonder whether @quasa knows this anime and is able to tell me the diffference to Mazinger.
Original post by Kallisto
I didn't know that four sequels already existed. Always thought that Getter Robo is an ongoing anime in one go. I wonder whether @quasa knows this anime and is able to tell me the diffference to Mazinger.

Know of getter robo but not too familiar with it. Different franchise to mazinger but both super robot series (in general, i prefer real robot but will admit i like gurren lagan, have a like hate relationship with evangelion and like shingeki no kyojin)
Im looking forward to hathaway being on netflix from 1st july. Now past 1 billion yen at japanese box office 10 days after launching in cinemas in japan
Trailer replaced for Peach Boy Riverside:

[video="youtube;7vtl3NGuG1c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vtl3NGuG1c[/video]
Trailer replaced for Shiroi Suna no Aquatope.

[video="youtube;N41qUI3MvJk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N41qUI3MvJk[/video]
The 1st Hathaway Film is now on Netflix, 2 and a bit weeks after release in Japan.

After seeing this, Id say its a solid 7/10 for me.

Major Pros:
gorgeous 2d animation
sawano soundtrack
great voice acting in japanese
predominantly faithful to the 1st Hathaway Novel.
Excellent reproduction of the Philippines

Major Cons:
- 3dcg can be jarring / mech fights feel a bit off compared to other gundam fight scenes.
- Anti-facist themes, especially actions of the manhunters have been toned down a lot (most likely to meet chinese censorship as the novels have a lot of anti-facist sentimentality and the Earth government is depicted as a corrupt, oppressive regime with strong anti-immigrant, who wish to evict poor people from the earth whilst depleting the planet for its resources for the select few to profiteer from and there is a scene in particular which is depicted far more graphically in novels regarding police / military brutality against innocent civilians).
- Whilst the film is OK for newbies to the universal century, to fully understand some easter eggs, it helps to be familiar with the characters of the original series, as well as the events of Char's counter attack (or more preferably, Beltorchika's Children novel)
- Has the feel that it is more of a setup film than a standalone film, especially if you have read the novels. Due to COVID restrictions and difficulties obtaining travel between Japan and Australia, the 2nd and 3rd films have been delayed (if faithful to the novels, the 2nd and 3rd films would have better plot and expand further, giving it more of a grounded, mature Code Geass feel). If the 2nd and 3rd films will remain faithful to the novels, then my overall opinion of the trilogy would be higher. But for now, Id say its a 7/10 / B- film if viewed by itself
(edited 2 years ago)
Amazon confirmed evangelion thrice upon a time will be streaming on 13th August. Same day netflix will be airing the shaman king reboot
It begins! As usual, I'll keep my thoughts on the sequels short.

Autumn 2020 promised us a Higurashi remake anime, only to troll us all with a brand new sequel instead! I liked a lot of the ideas in Gou, but it was badly paced, sloppily executed, and painful to watch at times. But, hopefully all that has set the scene for a more coherent second half in Sotsu. I'm curious enough and invested in the characters enough to give it a shot, and this first ep is already off to a much better start. :biggrin:

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/higurashi-when-they-cry-gou/?qid=
Peach Boy Riverside

Ep 1 didn't bother with introduction or backstory, dropping us straight in at the meeting of Saltorine (a self proclaimed ex-princess) and Frau (a harefolk demi-human). The former dreams of adventure, and the latter tags along - though it soon becomes apparent that not all humans are as accepting of demi-humans, treating them no different from the hostile monsters and ogres who threaten their villages. Despite this prejudice, Frau fights to protect her new friend... not that Saltorine seems to need it, as the mere sight of ogres awakens some sort of berserk mode inside of her! This series is inspired by the Momotaro legend, but implies there is more than one person with his oni-hunting powers.

This was very fast paced, with characters just showing up one after another, then getting into fights. So, about right for a shounen introductory episode. :p: Animation was not great TBH, and it also features weird, unnecessary boob physics. Nothing special, and I wasn't left with many reasons to keep watching... apart from Frau, who I like a lot.

Official Crunchyroll link: http://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/peach-boy-riverside
(edited 2 years ago)

A Japanese schoolgirl gets reincarnated as the villain from her favourite otome game - a character fated to die no matter which route the heroine takes! And so she works hard to be a good person, avoiding all the game's death flags... and making all the other characters fall for her in the process. I'm not usually into isekai, or rom-coms, but this one is just so adorably dumb - definitely picked up~

Official Crunchyroll link: http://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/my-next-life-as-a-villainess-all-routes-lead-to-doom
(edited 2 years ago)

Our protagonist is a young (and currently nameless) Duke, who was cursed by a witch during childhood - now, anything living that he touches will instantly die. Fearing for their safety, his family send him to live in their remote forest villa, with only his butler (absent in this episode) and maid for company. But despite the Duke's condition, Alice the maid teases him by endlessly flirting, getting up close and personal, with little regard for her own safety. Seems that the series will mostly be a rom-com focusing on the interactions between these two, but with lifting the witch's curse + drama with the Duke's family providing some plot potential.

This was a decent introductory episode. Alice's behaviour irritated me initially, felt too much like sexual harassment, and there didn't seem to be much else to her character... but the Duke later made it clear that their feelings were mutual, and she got a little more development towards the end of the episode, so I'll give her a chance. Animation is mostly 3D, very similar in style to Hi Score Girl, which for me is a definite plus.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/the-duke-of-death-and-his-maid/?qid=
Kageki Shoujo!!

The series focuses on two main characters: Narata Ai, an ex-idol with a fear of men, and Watanabe Sarasa, an incredibly tall and energetic girl. Both have passed the admission process for the Kouka School of Musical and Theatric Arts, an elite institution which only admits the best and most talented. Yet, these two already stand out for all the wrong reasons... Ai just wants to be left alone, but her fame attracts many negative comments. To make matters worse, Sarasa (constantly late, loud and oblivious to all social etiquette) is her roommate, and is determined to be her best friend too.

Honestly the best non-sequel first episode of the three I've watched so far, though that's not saying much. There have been a fair few acting/entertainment school anime in the past, and it's not usually my genre, but the lead duo seem like they'll be interesting to watch. It also gets bonus points for featuring Norio Wakamoto's vocal talents. :biggrin:

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/kageki-shojo/?qid=
(edited 2 years ago)
Uramichi Oniisan

Protagonist Uramichi is a retired gymnast, who for some reason now works as a presenter on a children's exercise TV show. But though the job demands he keep a smile on his face, his words certainly don't match - throughout this episode, he responded to the children's actions and questions with inappropriate topics such as job seeking, and his drinking problem. And the director is apparently fine with this, even as he leads them in singing a depressing version of the alphabet song. He harasses his younger colleagues, particularly the guy in the rabbit suit. And so far, all the other adult cast members have been similar, graduates and professionals from other entertainment fields whose careers have gone south.

The premise sounds great on paper, a dark comedy in an unusual and highly contrasting setting. And judging by the series' high ratings and positive comments on other sites, it's doing it's job well. But comedy is the most subjective of genres, and for whatever reason, this didn't make me laugh. :no: [EDIT] Got bored and watched the 2nd and 3rd episodes; It's style of humour has since grown on me. :smile:

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/life-lessons-with-uramichi-oniisan/?qid=
(edited 2 years ago)
Vanitas no Carte

Most vampires are born under a blood red moon, however legend tells of an outcast born during a blue moon. Persecuted by his own kind, he creates a cursed grimoire with the power to corrupt a vampire's true name, the source of their power. Protagonist Noe is a red-eyed vampire, travelling in search of this legendary book. And he finds it quicker than expected: after a fellow passenger and vampire goes berserk, a stowaway and self-proclaimed 'vampire doctor' pulls out the grimoire, somehow using it to restore her corrupted name - the opposite of the book's supposed purpose. This doctor, Vanitas, takes a liking to Noe, asking him to be his bodyguard. Noe promptly declines, and hilarity ensues.

Top quality animation from Bones brings the steampunk Victorian-esque world to life. Big brass airships, clockwork cogs everywhere, I love it. Exceptional soundtrack by Yuki Kajiura; orchestral, gothic, atmospheric. Interesting plot with no unnecessary fanservice. Fun characters with great reaction faces, good chemistry from the get-go, and brilliant voice acting. This blows everything else out of the water so far.

Official Funimation link: https://www.funimation.com/shows/the-case-study-of-vanitas/?qid=
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest