The Student Room Group

Upgrading Provisional Licence

Hi all,

I recently passed my practical test ( a big relief, after waiting since March last year for a test!). I currently have an old address on my provisional license, and would like to update the photo on this for my 'full license.' Additionally, my provisional license card was due to expire at the end of July. The questions are therefore, the below - I know I need to complete a D1 form, but its not overly clear on these points.

1. Can they use my passport photo with the form, or am I going to have to get a new photo from one of those machines? Ideally I would like them to use my passport photo.
2. When you pass the test, is your photocard automatically renewed, i.e another 10 years, or would my full license when sent back, also expire soon (logically they should add 10 years on). Do I have to explicitly ask for this to be renewed?
3. I need to update my address, which I think I have done (this seems fairly simple, just trying to do it all in one).
4. Is there likely to be a cost for doing all of this?

Do y'all think it'd be easier to just to get the correct address, and get it upgraded/renewed, leaving the photo for a later date?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by D.C2742
Hi all,

I recently passed my practical test ( a big relief, after waiting since March last year for a test!). I currently have an old address on my provisional license, and would like to update the photo on this for my 'full license.' Additionally, my provisional license card was due to expire at the end of July. The questions are therefore, the below - I know I need to complete a D1 form, but its not overly clear on these points.

1. Can they use my passport photo with the form, or am I going to have to get a new photo from one of those machines? Ideally I would like them to use my passport photo.
2. When you pass the test, is your photocard automatically renewed, i.e another 10 years, or would my full license when sent back, also expire soon (logically they should add 10 years on). Do I have to explicitly ask for this to be renewed?
3. I need to update my address, which I think I have done (this seems fairly simple, just trying to do it all in one).
4. Is there likely to be a cost for doing all of this?

Do y'all think it'd be easier to just to get the correct address, and get it upgraded/renewed, leaving the photo for a later date?

Thanks!

@TheDE will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite certain you must fill out the D1 to change your address, fill out the declaration on your test pass certificate, and send all of these documents with your provisional licence to DVLA using the postcode for a change of address.
Reply 2
Do you happen to know about the other elements? i.e renewal of photo card (new 10 years) and updating the photograph at the same time?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom
@TheDE will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite certain you must fill out the D1 to change your address, fill out the declaration on your test pass certificate, and send all of these documents with your provisional licence to DVLA using the postcode for a change of address.

This is correct, and you can attach a passport photo on the D1 to update the photo, the new photocard will then be valid for 10 years. I'm not sure of the cost.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
I have tried to contact the DVLA regarding this, but they are useless at the moment. If I post stuff in, do I have to include a cheque for payment? (who uses those these days)? Would someone in the Post Office be able to help? I guess I will have to pay for the photo update?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by D.C2742
I have tried to contact the DVLA regarding this, but they are useless at the moment. If I post stuff in, do I have to include a cheque for payment? (who uses those these days)? Would someone in the Post Office be able to help? I guess I will have to pay for the photo update?

It tells you everything on the form and supporting document....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending