Ciel_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
how many part times job do you think is manageable?
Solent University, Southampton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel_)
Hi Ciel, It all depends on your circumstances and how well you manage your time. I currently have 3 small part-time jobs while on summer holidays for uni and this is manageable as I can pick and choose when I work. However, because I have more than one job I have had issues with tax and will now have to wait until the next tax year until I can get a tax rebate because I work more than one job.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Solent University, Southampton)
Hi Ciel, It all depends on your circumstances and how well you manage your time. I currently have 3 small part-time jobs while on summer holidays for uni and this is manageable as I can pick and choose when I work. However, because I have more than one job I have had issues with tax and will now have to wait until the next tax year until I can get a tax rebate because I work more than one job.
are you a law student and are you planning on keeping those three jobs during the academic year? how many hours will you work a week?

do you do extracurriculars as well?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
OP i would say if you're well organised and catch onto things quickly you *maybe* have time to work 12 hours a week, less if you want to do other 'law' things like volunteering (there should be opportunities), law events, student societies, mooting, and also have a bit of leisure time. personally think if you don't currently have a job that you wish to keep and you're not desperate for money i would wait till you settle in a bit, see what your schedule is like and what to expect from law school. jmho
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
Don't work during your degree unless it's an absolute necessity to allow you to be clothed and fed. If you absolutely have to work, find one job that is relatively close to campus or your accommodation and stick to it.

(Original post by Joleee)
OP i would say if you're well organised and catch onto things quickly you *maybe* have time to work 12 hours a week, less if you want to do other 'law' things like volunteering (there should be opportunities), law events, student societies, mooting, and also have a bit of leisure time. personally think if you don't currently have a job that you wish to keep and you're not desperate for money i would wait till you settle in a bit, see what your schedule is like and what to expect from law school. jmho
This. There's just so much to balance in first year and OP doesn't want to end up in a position where they're on here crying about having the wrong priorities and getting a 2.2 in first year (it happens too often).
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Weird that you have basically the same username as someone else, anyway I wouldn't suggest doing more than 20hrs a week.
LawStudent456
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Johnny ~)
Don't work during your degree unless it's an absolute necessity to allow you to be clothed and fed. If you absolutely have to work, find one job that is relatively close to campus or your accommodation and stick to it.

This. There's just so much to balance in first year and OP doesn't want to end up in a position where they're on here crying about having the wrong priorities and getting a 2.2 in first year (it happens too often).
How many hours would you say to spend working on your course a day? In first year that is.
Pearson Business School Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel_)
Hi, I hope you are well!

How many part time jobs you have whilst studying is pure preference! I had one to begin with for 8 hours a week when I started my degree but increased my hours when I found out about work load and how much time I would need to be studying to stay ahead in my studies.

Hope this helps.

Ilona - Pearson College London Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
31.99%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (37)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.75%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.72%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
24.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed