The Student Room Group

Did I ruin my chance for an interview?

I’m currently working in a fixed position for 1 year and I’m trying my best to look for permanent position. I was recent invited to first zoom interview for 45min Junior Analyst position. In my present post it’s extremely busy and I have meetings everyday. Because of this I decided to let the recruiter know that I don’t have a particular skill listed on the JD and I’m sure if this would be an issue for the hiring manager. I haven’t heard back since Wednesday from the recruiter. I’ve been to interviews in the past and I didn’t have all the skills listed in the job description and I ended up getting rejected after the interview because it. I really didn’t want to waste 45 mins of my time in a interviews that I might get rejected for. I wonder what could I have done different? Because my interview invite was pretty much cancel because I informed the recruiter I didn’t direct experience in a particular area.

I’m bit frustrated as well as I graduated 4 years ago and all the positions I’ve had were all fixed term contract and while I’m fortunate for all the opportunities, I’m also drained and I’m really fatigued with applying for jobs.
Surely the recruiter must have read your cv, on which you listed experiences and skills. Or your cover letter. Before they invited you for interview.
I wouldn't have informed them but maybe asked a question at the end of an interview
If it's soft skill I wouldn't mention it
If it's a hard skill, maybe ask if there is some complementary training for that particular skill set
They will normally ask you abput your skill set anyway and by saying you don't have the skill, you basically cancelled your interview at least in an interview you can defend yourself a bit by saying you can learn it etc.
But if it was an essential hard skill you needed to know in depth Idk why you apply in the first place! You wasted your time applying if you wouldn't have fulfilled the role, and their time by making them read your cv and cover letter etc.
And if you are applying through an agency you need to feedback to them so that this doesn't happen again. Also an agency will get money from the company once they hire someone, so they essentially work for you and your future employer, by giving them feedback they are more likely to make money and you are more likely to get hired
Reply 2
If you really feel it was a show stopper then you saved yourself and the company time. This said there’s not always a candidate that ticks all the boxes and willingness to learn on the job can be a positive too. If in doubt I would be minded to have a go. Other opportunities will come up don’t worry. And you’re right job hunting can be draining but in the end something good turns up
Original post by Roasted Potato
Surely the recruiter must have read your cv, on which you listed experiences and skills. Or your cover letter. Before they invited you for interview.
I wouldn't have informed them but maybe asked a question at the end of an interview
If it's soft skill I wouldn't mention it
If it's a hard skill, maybe ask if there is some complementary training for that particular skill set
They will normally ask you abput your skill set anyway and by saying you don't have the skill, you basically cancelled your interview at least in an interview you can defend yourself a bit by saying you can learn it etc.
But if it was an essential hard skill you needed to know in depth Idk why you apply in the first place! You wasted your time applying if you wouldn't have fulfilled the role, and their time by making them read your cv and cover letter etc.
And if you are applying through an agency you need to feedback to them so that this doesn't happen again. Also an agency will get money from the company once they hire someone, so they essentially work for you and your future employer, by giving them feedback they are more likely to make money and you are more likely to get hired

It was directly for the company and not via an agency. Because of busy schedule I thought instead of wasting my time it was best to check before hand. They mentioned derivatives and I have fixed income and FX (fx was mentioned on the JD). I didn’t send a cover letter but always get the feeling because they see big name companies on my CV they invite me and waste my time in the past I just wanted clarification and potential avoid that this time.
Original post by Zarek
If you really feel it was a show stopper then you saved yourself and the company time. This said there’s not always a candidate that ticks all the boxes and willingness to learn on the job can be a positive too. If in doubt I would be minded to have a go. Other opportunities will come up don’t worry. And you’re right job hunting can be draining but in the end something good turns up

That’s what I thought as well, given that it’s “junior” position I thought the salary might potentially be lower that the last two jobs I’ve had (I wouldn’t accept that). I just feel discouraged sometimes and I was looking at a goal book from 2 years ago and I’ve achieved everything but a permanent position. There other things I would love to give my attention to but job search is always at the top of the list.
(edited 2 years ago)
Just quick update the recruiter/HR responding to pretending that I didn’t provide availability. Before post this I check three times and on different occasions to ensure that I did indeed add my schedule in correct and the details remained the same. I think between last Wednesday and now they interview a few interview candidates and none of made the cut they came to me. The funny thing is since I posted this I’ve been invited to two other interviews. Do you think it’s still worth attending original company since they try pull one on me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending