The Student Room Group

Alevel law: good or bad choice??

hiya guys,
i’ve heard a relentless number of times not to do alevel law if you want to do it at uni. many people have told me this but i really don’t know the reason for this can someone please explain!! i feel as though alevel law is something i would enjoy :frown:

also in order to do cooperate law would alevel business be a good choice (for reference im planning to do law, politics and sociology).
Hi! My friends who do law a level absolutely love it, although they have good teachers so that plays a part. I believe it is more of an easier, less 'important' a level, or rather it is viewed as that by some unis. However, if you think you enjoy it and do well, id say go for it:smile:idk what the link is between not doing it at a level if you want to do it at uni- i once heard someone say that its because the content taught at a level essentially is opposite than that of uni law, but i dont think thats right.

Business and your other a levels seem great for law and you also have options! Id say go for it:smile:

I made the mistake of taking an a level i didnt enjoy because it was seen as harder and more important, but i hated it, struggled and dropped out. Dont make the same mistake as me!
Original post by brionyvj
Hi! My friends who do law a level absolutely love it, although they have good teachers so that plays a part. I believe it is more of an easier, less 'important' a level, or rather it is viewed as that by some unis. However, if you think you enjoy it and do well, id say go for it:smile:idk what the link is between not doing it at a level if you want to do it at uni- i once heard someone say that its because the content taught at a level essentially is opposite than that of uni law, but i dont think thats right.

Business and your other a levels seem great for law and you also have options! Id say go for it:smile:

I made the mistake of taking an a level i didnt enjoy because it was seen as harder and more important, but i hated it, struggled and dropped out. Dont make the same mistake as me!

Thank you, this was super helpful :smile:
Sorry to hear you hated your alevel choice, hope you’ve found something you love and enjoy!!
Its a total myth that Unis 'don't like' A level Law - read this, all of it : https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/content/news/2014-04-15/AQA-W-A-LEVEL-LAW-SUPPORT.PDF
Original post by melissaa.x16
Thank you, this was super helpful :smile:
Sorry to hear you hated your alevel choice, hope you’ve found something you love and enjoy!!

I did thanks, doing different a levels and going to uni do to those subjects:smile:let us know what you decide!
Hi. I did Law for my A-Levels, my A-Level choices where Law, Psychology and Sociology. I’m going to start university in October to do Law. My friend who is going into her 2nd year of university is doing Law, she found it quit hard because she did not do Law for her A-Levels. My teacher told me that if you do Law at A-Level and then go onto university to do study Law, you have got the basic knowledge of the topics they teach you. I hope this helps.
Most senior lawyers would not recommend it. I would pick at least 2 traditional A level subjects. Look at the subjects the best UK state grammar schools offer for A level as a guide as to what is respected and hard enough.

There is a reasonable list here for example https://www.hbschool.org.uk/sixth-form/ although ensure from that list two of the ones you pick are two of the traditional facilitating subjects or ideally even three so eg History, English lit and a foreign language as I did or you could do 3 sciences etc etc

Latest

Trending

Trending