Shortness of breath - Acid Reflux issues?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,

I am 20 years old and was completely healthy up until this point. About a month ago, I drank too much water across a few days on top of food because I felt a bit dehydrated before bed and it led to acid reflux (which I never previously had). This was a sensation of burning in the throat area, which led to soreness and difficulty breathing.

My doctors have placed me on medication (omeprazole 20mg) and reckon that it will clear on its own because of my age, the cause and because I have no prior health issues. I have also had tests done by paramedics and in terms of my actual breathing etc it all seems fine. My esophagus area does seem swollen though and my throat area feels tight. I've had the reflux for six weeks but only began suppressing it five days ago with meds.

Also, I have a bit of damage to my lung/rib right rib area. I assumed it could have been due to the acid but apparently it's unrelated and I might have sprained it from rapid movement (e.g exercise) but just concerned at the moment.

Has anyone experienced reflux issues and does anyone have any advice? Do they think it will go away or have any advice to offer? Quite nervous at the moment. The acid has felt relatively suppressed for the past few days since medicating but I feel as if there is some inflammation/damage.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The inflammation should heal up with medication and time. If the symptoms don't settle, they will do other tests - the first thing is usually testing for a bacteria called H.Pylori as this can commonly cause reflux/indigestion.

I had a persistent cough with my reflux before I went onto a high enough dose of medication but I don't see how it would cause shortness of breath - is that what your GP told you was causing it?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by black tea)
The inflammation should heal up with medication and time. If the symptoms don't settle, they will do other tests - the first thing is usually testing for a bacteria called H.Pylori as this can commonly cause reflux/indigestion.

I had a persistent cough with my reflux before I went onto a high enough dose of medication but I don't see how it would cause shortness of breath - is that what your GP told you was causing it?
Nope, I haven't had a cough at all. Apparently, my throat issue with breath was caused by the reflux which was inflaming the throat but since meds that hasn't been the case. Since medication, no new acid reflux, I do not feel pain or as if I'm burping/belching much. The only thing I have noticed is when I drink water etc sometimes, I hear a gurgle noise for about a second afterwards? Not sure what this is called or what this is. Did you manage to fix your reflux and what was it caused by? Doc advised I'm on two omeprazole 20mg per day but I'm only taking one because i was getting side effects but now i'm not sure if this was the right decision.

Paramedics reckon the shortness of breath I have now is due to me having a muscle spasm in my lung region which has led to inflammation of the area. They believe this should settle on its own but is not due to the actual acid reflux.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Nope, I haven't had a cough at all. Apparently, my throat issue with breath was caused by the reflux which was inflaming the throat but since meds that hasn't been the case. Since medication, no new acid reflux, I do not feel pain or as if I'm burping/belching much. The only thing I have noticed is when I drink water etc sometimes, I hear a gurgle noise for about a second afterwards? Not sure what this is called or what this is. Did you manage to fix your reflux and what was it caused by? Doc advised I'm on two omeprazole 20mg per day but I'm only taking one because i was getting side effects but now i'm not sure if this was the right decision.

Paramedics reckon the shortness of breath I have now is due to me having a muscle spasm in my lung region which has led to inflammation of the area. They believe this should settle on its own but is not due to the actual acid reflux.
It's probably just water going down your oesophagus or something. I get it too sometimes but can't say I've ever paid much attention to it. I have to be on medication all the time as otherwise the reflux comes back for me and I feel sick all the time and can't eat.

I see. Hope it settles down for you soon.
Last edited by black tea; 4 weeks ago
Limpopo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Be careful about what you eat, how much and how late. Try to cut off any eating around 3 hours before your normal bed time. Reflux is more likely when you are horizontal, ie in bed. If you can, buy a support pillow and prop yourself up a little. Put a couple of blocks under the head of the bed so that its at a downward angle.

The GP can initiate a test for H Pylori. This is usually done via a poo sample. If its pos, they will give you a weeks worth of meds to hopefully clear it.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Limpopo)
Be careful about what you eat, how much and how late. Try to cut off any eating around 3 hours before your normal bed time. Reflux is more likely when you are horizontal, ie in bed. If you can, buy a support pillow and prop yourself up a little. Put a couple of blocks under the head of the bed so that its at a downward angle.

The GP can initiate a test for H Pylori. This is usually done via a poo sample. If its pos, they will give you a weeks worth of meds to hopefully clear it.
I don't think this is H Pylori just because it seems self inflicted from overeating but I'll definitely ask to be tested still.

Thanks for the advice, definitely been sticking and doing all of it. Just hoping everything heals up with omeprazole too.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by black tea)
It's probably just water going down your oesophagus or something. I get it too sometimes but can't say I've ever paid much attention to it. I have to be on medication all the time as otherwise the reflux comes back for me and I feel sick all the time and can't eat.

I see. Hope it settles down for you soon.
Thanks. I just want it all to go I'm so distressed at the moment over it where it concerns breathing. :'( Day 11 of meds tomorrow.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.14%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.82%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (39)
11.4%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.74%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.97%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (15)
4.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (36)
10.53%
Financial worries (24)
7.02%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.39%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.14%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.23%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.31%

Watched Threads