Credit cards and debit cards

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi! I was wondering:
If I use a credit card (from one bank) to buy something online and then transfer money online from a debit card (from a different bank), will it pay off the bill from the credit card?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is something to ask the bank about.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi! I was wondering:
If I use a credit card (from one bank) to buy something online and then transfer money online from a debit card (from a different bank), will it pay off the bill from the credit card?
I get a bill from my credit card which I pay by transferring money from my bank account to the crdit card company account. The bank won;t pay your bill without you telling it to.
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Since debit cards are spending cash you already have it should be fine to pay a credit card bill in this way. I pay my credit card each month by direct debit from my current account which represents the same thing. You will need the sort code and account number for your credit card account
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Muttley79)
I get a bill from my credit card which I pay by transferring money from my bank account to the crdit card company account. The bank won;t pay your bill without you telling it to.

(Original post by Zarek)
Since debit cards are spending cash you already have it should be fine to pay a credit card bill in this way. I pay my credit card each month by direct debit from my current account which represents the same thing. You will need the sort code and account number for your credit card account
Thanks for responding!!
But will it still work if both cards are from two different banks/accounts?? Like if one was halifax and the other was a mastercard?? Would the money from the debit card pay out the bill on the credit card?

Also how will it show up on the statement??
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for responding!!
But will it still work if both cards are from two different banks/accounts?? Like if one was halifax and the other was a mastercard?? Would the money from the debit card pay out the bill on the credit card?

You can transfer money from any bank to any bank but the credit card bill needs an instruction from you to be paid - it isn't automatic.
Anonymous #1
You can transfer money from any bank to any bank but the credit card bill needs an instruction from you to be paid - it isn't automatic.
Sorry just trying to get my head around it. So if I got a credit card bill, could I just go on my Halifax (debit) account online and pay it off?
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for responding!!

Have a read of the instructions on payment with your statement. If memory serves there is a sort code and account number for the credit card company and you also need to add a reference to identify it’s a payment from you - the statement will show the name of the paying account. You won’t actually be ‘using the card’ if you do this with on line transfer. I’ve no idea if you can pay in branch like this
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry just trying to get my head around it. So if I got a credit card bill, could I just go on my Halifax (debit) account online and pay it off?
Yes if you follow the instructions for paying it; these are usually on the back of the bill.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Zarek)
Have a read of the instructions on payment with your statement. If memory serves there is a sort code and account number for the credit card company and you also need to add a reference to identify it’s a payment from you - the statement will show the name of the paying account. You won’t actually be ‘using the card’ if you do this with on line transfer. I’ve no idea if you can pay in branch like this
Yes if you follow the instructions for paying it; these are usually on the back of the bill.
Okay thank you!! Im completely useless when it comes to financial stuff. I'm always nervous of getting stuff mixed up
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay thank you!! Im completely useless when it comes to financial stuff. I'm always nervous of getting stuff mixed up
On my recent statement it says I can pay over the phone by debit card or using the bank giro form. I have a variable DD set up so it pays the credit card off in full every month from my current account.
Anonymous #1
On my recent statement it says I can pay over the phone by debit card or using the bank giro form. I have a variable DD set up so it pays the credit card off in full every month from my current account.
Ok great! I was just wondering if its possible if the accounts are from different banks
Stumpy1001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! I was wondering:
if the amount is the same of course it will . They do not charge interest by the second .
Last edited by Stumpy1001; 4 weeks ago
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ok great! I was just wondering if its possible if the accounts are from different banks
Yes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.67%
Excited but a bit nervous (146)
45.34%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.8%
I'm really nervous (65)
20.19%

Watched Threads