Do you need to retake Maths if you fail nat5?

Watch this thread
NANA22102005
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi everyone, Does anyone know if I need to retake Maths for S5 if I fail nat5? Before if you failed nat5 you would automatically get nat4 but now the teachers Said that sqa changed that and if you fail nat5 you get no award. However, my house teacher said i needed to retake maths if i didnt pass it but the teacher from a different house Said i didn't need to take maths if i fail it. The classes i picked for S5 were : spanish, esol, child care, makeup artistry and cake craft. But my teacher changed makeup artistry to maths in case i didn't pass it, but i really don't wantt to do maths in S5. Does anyone knows if i need to retake maths if i fail it?
wildered
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
From what I understand there is no requirement to resit N5 Maths if you fail, what you study in S5 is up to you. However, Maths is incredibly useful and is one of the most commonly required subjects for college or uni, so schools will encourage you to get your N5.

Depending on what you want to do after school you may need Maths at a N5 level or you may not. Perhaps have a talk with your teacher about why they want you to resit Maths and then decide if that is the right choice for you. There is always the option to resit it in S6 if you will be staying on until then, one of my friends will be doing that this year after failing N5 in S4.
mjohnstone314159
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
It's not a technical requirement but most schools will try and get you to pass it as it because along with english they are considering the foundation of any education. I would say take it in S5 again but if you fail it this year then don't try again a third time because you will get sick of it. I think it's is important to remember that maths is more than just formulas and the like, it is basically teaching you how to problem solve which will always be useful in your chosen career. Just try and put all your effort into it in S5, use resources like bitesize and you should be good to go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise