The Student Room Group

Applying to join the RAF

I'm currently applying to join the RAF. For a supposedly streamlined process it's been anything but so far.
Morning mate. At the moment I would take into account the covid situation. Restrictions are rife right now and that includes social distancing at Halton too. I went thro the process couple years ago and from start to finish only took a few months. Go back and have a read of my posts from the start. If you have all your ducks in order it can be easily be streamlined. If your waiting for other people to do things it will always take longer. For instance, instead of waiting on capita and docs etc, I went straight to The top and requested all my med docs from previous service and dumped them on the afco desk with everything I needed form wise. All I can say if chase chase and chase. You know the crack, no one will do it for you. If you need any other advice just ping me a message and I’ll do what I can. Have you tried contacting the rejoiner cell at Cranwell?
I am assuming you are a rejoiner if your on this page. If not, you might need to look elsewhere for advice.
Original post by Wolf335
Finally after several months of waiting the Army have actually released my med docs. Got my appointment through for medical but not till 5th March. So likely puts my TaRC back to April at the earliest,.4 months after I was told I'd been pencilled in for it.. But fingers crossed all steam ahead now.

Been a year since this post so I thought I’d say hi and see how you got on.
You back in? Hope all went well in the end 👍
Reply 4
Original post by Sifigsy14
I am assuming you are a rejoiner if your on this page. If not, you might need to look elsewhere for advice.

Yes your assumption is right but Covid aside it's been a ballache from the start. From lost paperwork being assigned the wrong recruiter and don't get me started on Capita. While I accept why I failed my medical first time. Using an injury I picked up when I was 15 against me and not realising I did 14 yrs in the Army and 5 operational tours with no problem.

Thankfully when you speak to actual doctor he even said what planet were Capita on?.
Capita are completely useless. Everyone has had so many problems with them I can’t for the life of me understand why they are still going! How long have you been at this application?
Reply 6
2 years applied in 2019 nothing for 4 months til I started chasing. Then Covid hit so absolutely nothing. Got an AST in June last year but I didn't get enough for the trade I wanted. So I re sat it and passed. I got a medical in January the phone consultation was a joke. The so called Doctor highlighted pretty much every cough and cold I had. Thankfully the face to face Doctor had a different opinion. But he had to fail me for being overweight so I've been on a diet and exercise since and dropped 2st got my re show in July.
2st! Good on ya 👍 after the docs it’s the fitness test, how you getting on with that? Should be quick after that 🤞 from my test to back in wasn’t long at all, bout 4 / 5 weeks but that was before COVID
Good luck mate and you’ll be back in no time
Reply 8
2st! Good on ya 👍 after the docs it’s the fitness test, how you getting on with that? Should be quick after that 🤞 from my test to back in wasn’t long at all, bout 4 / 5 weeks but that was before COVID
Good luck mate and you’ll be back in no time

I'm smashing the press ups and sit ups and hitting level 8 on the MSFT being 40 I get 8.3 as my cut off !. From what my recruiter said the currently skipping the pre join test and sending everyone straight to Halton for the fitness test.
Original post by GMan455
I'm smashing the press ups and sit ups and hitting level 8 on the MSFT being 40 I get 8.3 as my cut off !. From what my recruiter said the currently skipping the pre join test and sending everyone straight to Halton for the fitness test.

Happy days, I’m same age as you and getting that initial 12min mile and half on a treadmill was a pain in the ass. I could run it on the road but different ball game on the treadmill. MSFT soooo much easier. Pick the guy/girl next to you and there is your challenge, doing it with others is better than on your lonesome. You’ll be fine mate. Tarc course is a breeze, more of a kit and post than anything, go back through my original posts for kit list and daily plans 👍👍
Speak up if you need anything else 👌
Reply 10
Happy days, I’m same age as you and getting that initial 12min mile and half on a treadmill was a pain in the ass. I could run it on the road but different ball game on the treadmill. MSFT soooo much easier. Pick the guy/girl next to you and there is your challenge, doing it with others is better than on your lonesome. You’ll be fine mate. Tarc course is a breeze, more of a kit and post than anything, go back through my original posts for kit list and daily plans 👍👍
Speak up if you need anything else 👌

Cheers

AFCO are 99% certain I'll be doing TARC rather than repeat phase 1 again. I've been a Cadet instructor so I've kept my hand in with weapons and such like. I do an MSFT at least twice a week as you say it's hard on your lonesome. But I shall persevere
Original post by GMan455
Cheers

AFCO are 99% certain I'll be doing TARC rather than repeat phase 1 again. I've been a Cadet instructor so I've kept my hand in with weapons and such like. I do an MSFT at least twice a week as you say it's hard on your lonesome. But I shall persevere

Happy days. Let us know how you get on! 👍
Reply 12
Happy days. Let us know how you get on! 👍

I take it the TARC is quite chilled then?
Original post by GMan455
I take it the TARC is quite chilled then?

Very mate. You’ve already been through the ******** etc so they treat you like adults, you’ll have your rank slides on day 2 so you instantly stand out from the recruits and you become staff to them 😂
It’s so relaxed you probably don’t have to be there 😂😂
Reply 14
Very mate. You’ve already been through the ******** etc so they treat you like adults, you’ll have your rank slides on day 2 so you instantly stand out from the recruits and you become staff to them 😂
It’s so relaxed you probably don’t have to be there 😂😂

Good to hear with the cadets I did an instructors course and the DS tried treating us like recruits. It didn't last long 80% of us were ex regs.
Reply 15
Been a year since this post so I thought I’d say hi and see how you got on.
You back in? Hope all went well in the end 👍

Hi how's it going.

Yeah I'm back in was an absolute cluster from start to finish with recruitment what with the Army taking 9 months to release my docs, capita cocking up the medical which was rightly correct by med officer at Cranwell with lots of apologies but to top itnoff then my recruiter ballsed up everything which meant I ended up with a new service number and I didn't end up doing Tarc ended up having to do the full 10 weeks at Halton , because he submitted all the wrong paperwork 😳.

But Halton 10 weeks wasn't to bad due PSF sorting my pay & rank out to be on the correct scale from day 2 there so I was probably the best paid recruit the RAF has probably ever had 😂. I got left alone by instructors as well because of my experience, even with the FP stuff the Reg lads were sound literally gave me the refreshers i needed and left me alone so they could focus on actual recruits. The best or worst part depending how you see it was I had to do a full pass out parade but looked so out of place as my 1's had my correct rank on already and I passed out with my medals yet the flight instructors didn't have any so it led to an intriguing chat with the inspecting officer 😂.

But despite that it's been decent to be fair, working away in post now and enjoying it.
Reply 16
Original post by Wolf335
Hi how's it going.

Yeah I'm back in was an absolute cluster from start to finish with recruitment what with the Army taking 9 months to release my docs, capita cocking up the medical which was rightly correct by med officer at Cranwell with lots of apologies but to top itnoff then my recruiter ballsed up everything which meant I ended up with a new service number and I didn't end up doing Tarc ended up having to do the full 10 weeks at Halton , because he submitted all the wrong paperwork 😳.

But Halton 10 weeks wasn't to bad due PSF sorting my pay & rank out to be on the correct scale from day 2 there so I was probably the best paid recruit the RAF has probably ever had 😂. I got left alone by instructors as well because of my experience, even with the FP stuff the Reg lads were sound literally gave me the refreshers i needed and left me alone so they could focus on actual recruits. The best or worst part depending how you see it was I had to do a full pass out parade but looked so out of place as my 1's had my correct rank on already and I passed out with my medals yet the flight instructors didn't have any so it led to an intriguing chat with the inspecting officer 😂.

But despite that it's been decent to be fair, working away in post now and enjoying it.

Seems to be a recurring theme the Army dragging its feet in realising med docs.
Reply 17
Original post by GMan455
Seems to be a recurring theme the Army dragging its feet in realising med docs.

Key I found in the end was ringing them daily

Quick Reply

Latest