Hated student accommodation but want to try again?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I went to uni last year and hated it which led me drop out of the uni. However I immediately regretted it and applied again, I said I wouldn’t go into student accommodation again but just before the deadline I’m having second thoughts and considering applying. I didn’t like it the first time due to my anxiety, it just didn’t feel right but I took a gap year have have been really lonely that I think I need to do it again to get my life back on track. I have never really had friends in my life and I think I just need to get out as I’ve pretty been in my parents house for the last 2 years. I was thinking of travelling by car buts it’s also 50 mins away and I’ve only got 10 days to apply to decide

Anyone got any advice
Dekiee654
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe try getting a studio instead.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I went to uni last year and hated it which led me drop out of the uni. However I immediately regretted it and applied again, I said I wouldn’t go into student accommodation again but just before the deadline I’m having second thoughts and considering applying. I didn’t like it the first time due to my anxiety, it just didn’t feel right but I took a gap year have have been really lonely that I think I need to do it again to get my life back on track. I have never really had friends in my life and I think I just need to get out as I’ve pretty been in my parents house for the last 2 years. I was thinking of travelling by car buts it’s also 50 mins away and I’ve only got 10 days to apply to decide

Anyone got any advice
I think an important thing to ask yourself is: what has changed since the last time you attempted to live in student accommodation? Do you have better control of your anxiety? What exactly caused your anxiety in the first place? The worry is that you'll move in only for the same thing to happen again, and that's something you want to avoid. Depending on what exactly triggered your anxiety, you might fare better in a studio (although price may be an issue), or commuting from home (as 50 minutes isn't that far if traffic is fine).
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Anyone got any advice
Hi!

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I would think about what is it you would do differently this time around? It would be useful to figure out what triggers your anxiety.
From personal experience, I found pushing myself to go to social events really helpful and joining a society.
If the whole idea of halls is overwhelming for you. You could always ask your university and ask and see if they have a quieter area of the building you could live in. Some universities let you request this and it can be a lot less overwhelming.

Try and think about what would cause you more anxiety. Travelling every day or living at uni. For example, would the stress of travelling and making things on time trigger your anxiety?
If you live so close you could always go home at the weekends to refresh yourself?

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
ihatemyselflol
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi!
in my first year of uni I went into student accommodation: 5 flatmates and a shared kitchen. I have anxiety too so I really didn't enjoy it either. So I decided to live in a studio flat in my next accommodation... Having my own kitchen was great and I loved having my own space at first..but living alone, and also not even seeing course mates at uni due to covid made it really lonely. Now I'm going into my third year and back into a shared kitchen with flatmates, despite my anxiety not being any better. But I know that being around people is much better for my mental health, even if I don't really talk to them that much. Just having other humans around makes me feel slightly better than having no-one around.
hermimepryce
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Anyone got any advice
Hi what uni are you at I have two rooms in my house in salford?X any info just message me it’s £105 a week n the people are super friendly only things they are set to move in in July?xx
Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sometimes we try to make things work which are simply not in our nature

For instance, I really wanted to study physics at university but have come to accept that I hate maths, suck at it, and simply do not think analytically. The same thing could apply to you: You want to go into student accommodation because you want the traditional student experience we see on movies and TV, but might there be a chance that your personality does not suit the ways in which student accommodation works? You have already tried it once, so why won't the same thing just occur this time around? what exactly did you hate about it?

I hope end up happy with whatever decision you choose
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I hated quite a bit the first 2 weeks didn’t do any work as it was freshers. Then the first 2 weeks due to the lockdown everything was shut and what ever was open you had to do in your household which I didn’t seem to click with mine. I struggled with cooking and no food places open. I paid for top accommodation which cost me £7000 but they put me i a newly restored one wasn’t up to standard and bathroom covered in mild and limescale wasn’t clean. Then to top it off I’m a make and all 8 of the others in the dorm was female so it was hard to make friends and with clubs being all online it was hard to join
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (19)
17.12%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (32)
28.83%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.81%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.71%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.5%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
25.23%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.8%

Watched Threads