continuing your healthcare as an international student

Watch
rokhaya
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi there!
I'm an international student coming to the UK for my studies, but I also have a chronic condition and need to take my meds twice a day.
I'm a bit worried about the transition from my health system to the NHS, as I'm not sure whether they have my meds here, or how to transfer my health records, or how to resume my monthly checkups in the UK.
Is or has anyone been in this situation?
Thank you
shooonthebeat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When you move to the UK, make an appointment with your local GP. They can guide you.
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rokhaya)
hi there!
I'm an international student coming to the UK for my studies, but I also have a chronic condition and need to take my meds twice a day.
I'm a bit worried about the transition from my health system to the NHS, as I'm not sure whether they have my meds here, or how to transfer my health records, or how to resume my monthly checkups in the UK.
Is or has anyone been in this situation?
Thank you
Hi,

I'm also an international student and often get severe allergy reactions, hence one of the first things I did when I got to the UK was registered with the closest GP. I recommend you to take with you all the paperwork you have and be as clear as you can with your GP about your situation.

As a side note, my parter also has a chronic condition, and I can assure you the NHS has been wonderful. He needs to receive some inyections and very puntuaclly they are deliver to our house and a nurse comes to apply them to him, since he decided ha can't do it alone. I've seen him re-ordering prescriptions by email and is always in contact with pharmacy staff to know when they're delivered. You can choose which pharmacy you want to pick them from.

Hope this information works!

Africa
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
28.21%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (3)
7.69%
No I am happy with my choice (22)
56.41%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
7.69%

Watched Threads