The Student Room Group

Does institutional racism affect the dating world?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ANM775
say you are in a bar, there's 20 white women in the bar, statistically 65% are taken, meaning 7 are single. of those 7 who are single only 9.4% will even consider you an option due to your race. which leaves 0.65 white women out of 20 who are single and have not ruled you out due to race.

doesn't sound so good when you view it like that does it?

and like you said, these women don't wear signs over their head. how you gonna find that 0.65 of a woman lol

TBF, I did say "In Theory" :tongue:

I think I may have mentioned this before, but a trick that works for me is to look at their surrounding group... I find that if there's at least one BAME member in the group, then that suggests that the others would be more willing to consider dating outside their own race (well at least the race of their friend, as that's insulting her). Having said that, if there's ONLY one BAME member in a large group, she may be the one to avoid as from my experience, they're more likely to exclusively like white guys (or whatever ethnic group her friends are). Obviously, the latter doesn't necessarily apply if there's more than one BAME person in said group, or a mixed group in general.

idk tbh, i thought the 9.4% figure was kinda low personally. I would say around 20% would be open to it when it gets to crunch time, and perhaps upto around another 20% would flirt with the idea of it if propositioned, but ultimately find some excuse to not go through with it when opportunities present themselves. ....but I never done a poll and they did :dontknow:,
the figures of BAME people willing to date another race look believable to me ...so there's no basis really for me to say the 9.4% figure is off.

That's why it would be interesting to see a demographic breakdown, and how %ages may change... also what ethnic groups are "preferred" (although I suspect that would be reiterating what we already know?).

I don't think the link has the breakdown by ages, but i suspect the younger age groups will be more willing to date interacially than the older age groups, and also tradionally men are more open to interacial dating than women... although most white men who are keen on interacial dating generally perfer other races over black women.

younger age groups are more LGBT friendly and open to race and sensitive to sexism etc than older age groups.

I dunno about that...

IN London, I've noticed in the past decade or so, A LOT more interracial couples with White male- Black females... and it's not just young people either ... I see a significant amount of middle-aged / elderly couples with this combination. And I think the fact that it was in the mid 90's when LGBTQ was perceived as being less "dirty" has helped that generation be more LGBTQ friendly. Likewise, in the 1970's / 80's it was more acceptable to be openly sexist, racist etc.
Original post by Old Skool Freak

IMHO, I think most people if they're really honest with themselves (to be fair, it's a very very difficult thing to do) will admit that they've got some sort of racial bias when it comes to physical attraction / dating (albeit of varying degrees). The only areas where I find it genuinely doesn't matter are those in that elite "stunner" type league, and athletes. For the beautiful people, they tend to look past colour, and it's the fact that they are a beautiful person to look at becomes the important factor. Likewise when you're an athlete (I'm talking proper athletes, who train for an actual sport / competition; NOT those who train purely for the aesthetics), there tends to be Once you're an athlete, you're an athlete, end of; regardless of skin colour.

Is the bias conscious or subconious? Other than the top percentile of people who are aesthetically gifted.
Original post by Sha-ney-ney
Is the bias conscious or subconious? Other than the top percentile of people who are aesthetically gifted.

It's a good question,.

I want to start a thread on this very thing soon, but as I was saying to ANM775 because it's a sensitive and potentially volatile subject, I need to word it very carefully, so it doesn't descend into chaos.

... But yeah, keep your eyes peeled if you're interested.
Reply 63
Original post by Old Skool Freak
TBF, I did say "In Theory" :tongue:

I think I may have mentioned this before, but a trick that works for me is to look at their surrounding group... I find that if there's at least one BAME member in the group, then that suggests that the others would be more willing to consider dating outside their own race (well at least the race of their friend, as that's insulting her). Having said that, if there's ONLY one BAME member in a large group, she may be the one to avoid as from my experience, they're more likely to exclusively like white guys (or whatever ethnic group her friends are). Obviously, the latter doesn't necessarily apply if there's more than one BAME person in said group, or a mixed group in general.

That's why it would be interesting to see a demographic breakdown, and how %ages may change... also what ethnic groups are "preferred" (although I suspect that would be reiterating what we already know?).

I dunno about that...

IN London, I've noticed in the past decade or so, A LOT more interracial couples with White male- Black females... and it's not just young people either ... I see a significant amount of middle-aged / elderly couples with this combination. And I think the fact that it was in the mid 90's when LGBTQ was perceived as being less "dirty" has helped that generation be more LGBTQ friendly. Likewise, in the 1970's / 80's it was more acceptable to be openly sexist, racist etc.

I see what you're saying about this and your strategy does seem logical, however I was having a similar discussion once with a group of black guys and someone suggested going for the girl in a mixed group..., but a few of us were uncomfortable about this as if you are making a beeline for a white girl in an all black group there is a decent chance the black women will pick up on this .....and well, it probably won't go down that well.
and statistically it's more likely that one of the black girls in the group will like you more than the white girl, and if you don't like the black girl ....then it's awkward, as they know you are single as you've come over to chat up the white girl.

I have been doing a lot of experiments IRL which do not revolve around cold approach, I have put it in a spoiler as most people will not be interested and it's kinda lengthy.

Spoiler

Original post by ANM775
I see what you're saying about this and your strategy does seem logical, however I was having a similar discussion once with a group of black guys and someone suggested going for the girl in a mixed group..., but a few of us were uncomfortable about this as if you are making a beeline for a white girl in an all black group there is a decent chance the black women will pick up on this .....and well, it probably won't go down that well.
and statistically it's more likely that one of the black girls in the group will like you more than the white girl, and if you don't like the black girl ....then it's awkward, as they know you are single as you've come over to chat up the white girl.

Just for clarification, the situation I was describing was a group with ONE black girl when all her other friends are white. In those situations, I find the black girl is normally one of those who ONLY has eyes for white guys... so would probably be quite relieved that you didn't approach her. I find these types are the ones who relish in being the "token black" in their group, and resent any other black people anywhere near them... in the same way a single white girl within a group of black girls probably goes for black guys mainly. It doesn't apply so-much to mixed groups in general.

Given where you live, I'm guessing the vast majority of people you meet on nights out are white... from my experience, when you meet another black person in those kind of environments, either one of two things will happen a) you become each others best friends (for that evening) or b) it feels completely awkward and tense.

Going back to the example you described, I don't think the black girls would have a problem with that... provided that they're still getting their fair share of attention (or at least some). Even if they did, they're unlikely to say anything directly to you... but it's more likely to become a thing within their group. It's like in the film Honey, where one of the black / Latina girls resents the white girl for taking the best / most desirable men (to be fair, it was Jessica Alba lol)

I have been doing a lot of experiments IRL which do not revolve around cold approach, I have put it in a spoiler as most people will not be interested and it's kinda lengthy.

I have noticed that if a girl smiles at you unsolicited ...and you approach her (during the day or night) it is not a very reliable signal of if she's into you or not. However You're still probably better off doing this than straight up cold approaching though.

fri/sat night is by far the best time to go out if you want to meet a woman. during the day time most women are not interested or thinking about meeting men. This makes it harder for many reasons.

If a girl is checking you out, who is stationary, and you smile at her ...or approach her, then she tends to be quite flirty with you, she may even begin a conversation with you ...and there is decent potential (day or night).

On fri/sat night I notice far more women will lock eyes with you than during the day. Such is the difference ..that it leads me to believe a woman locking eyes with you in the night is most likely either attracted to you or considering you. During the night women who find you unattractive will generally try to avoid eye contact as much as possible, you will not get a lock on them. A lot will not even look directly at you but see you in their peripheral vision and then consciously decide to not look at you/avoid eye contact with you.

If I am honest, I am exactly the same if a girl I find unattractive tries to lock eyes with me during the night. I deliberately go out of my way try to avoid eye contact.

If a woman is locking eyes on you, and you smile at her ....there is a possible you will get an (AI) approach invitation or she will then talk to you.

In order to increase the chances a woman might lock eyes on you it is best to stand in places which aren't packed and don't have too much bodies in view.

At this present moment in time I have come to the conclusion that the best way to meet a girl outside your race who you do not know from adam without resorting to cold approach ....is to go on a night out, or simply hang about near to nightlife areas after 10pm on fri/sat. Stand in an area with not too much bodies in view. wait for women to naturally be walking your way. make eye contact with them. If you get no eye contact or you do get eye contact but can't get a lock-on do nothing. If you get a lock, this means there is a decent possibly she is attracted to you. Next, give her a smile. If she rolls her eyes, screws up her face or starts chatting **** about you to her friends then it is likely the girl did not find you attractive. shrug your shoulders and mentally move on. you got off lightly as if you had verbally approached her you would have encountered the full rejection. If however when you smile at the girl she smiles back and looks like she wants you to go talk to her, then go talk to her. there is a reasonable chance here of at least exchanging numbers. If when you smile at the girl, the girl talks to you, you will have to use your judgement to decide if she seems attracted to you ..and then proceed accordingly from there.

advantages of this method:

-By waiting for an eye lock You filter out a lot of women who are simply not attracted to you.

-by smiling after an eyelock and waiting for a reaction to determine if you should talk to her, you are again filtering for girls who are receptive

-rejections you get will tend to be non verbal and easier to absorb as you not approaching women who do not pass the filtering test. If you get rejected verbally after the woman responds to the smile then it will probably be pleasantly delivered on her part or a genuine rejection based on her legitimately having a bf.

-it will take less approaches to get leads, due to the filtering process

disadvantages of this method:

-Some girls may not lock eyes with you who would have been receptive simply because they did not notice you.

-Cold approach will always get better results in terms of leads as you are directly talking to more people.

-If you cannot get any girls to lock eyes on you, or the types of girls who lock eyes on you aren't attractive to you then you end up approaching no one.

-Method has to be used at night ..on a night out vibe setting as women during the day generally speaking simply arn't interested in meeting men

-there will be girls you see and really want to approach, but they don't pass the filtering test ..which may make some people frustrated.

This method is designed to limit rejections, and filter for girls who find you sexually attractive .., thus increasing your chances of success over a pure cold approach. This method is not for everyone. If you do not get rejected much, or have a high threshold for rejection then you are probably better off with traditional cold approach.

I see what you're saying... it's a bit like do Chase girls or Attract girls? Personally, I find that attracting girls works far better for me than chasing girls. All you do is you find some high profile spot, and if girls like the look of you, they'll soon find a reason (excuse) to put themselves somewhere close to you, and then you can go over as soon as it's appropriate, and chat them up. The main advantages with this are rejection levels are typically very very low (normally when you've said the wrong thing)... however the disadvantages are that you have to be able to make yourself stand out in some way... so not everyone can do this. The other disadvantages are that you don't really get a say in who approaches you (you have to take what's on offer), and you don't get that buzz when you bag a really hot girl (and you've grafted).

As a black person in a predominantly white area, this is something that could work for you.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending