Amber1874
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m currently in my first year of level 3 teaching assistant apprenticeship. I want to become a primary school teacher eventually but not sure what the right path is to do so. I want to keep my job while training so I can’t do full time at uni. However, I know that if you do part time you still need to do placements which I will have to take time off work for and not sure If I can lose my job because of that. Any suggestions on the right path to go forwards.
SlaveofAll
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You may read this one for advice. (https://nationalcareers.service.gov....school-teacher)
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amber1874)
I’m currently in my first year of level 3 teaching assistant apprenticeship. I want to become a primary school teacher eventually but not sure what the right path is to do so. I want to keep my job while training so I can’t do full time at uni. However, I know that if you do part time you still need to do placements which I will have to take time off work for and not sure If I can lose my job because of that. Any suggestions on the right path to go forwards.
If you don't have a degree, you will need to get one, but if you already have a degree, there are a few routes that might be open to you.

Firstly, there is Teach First and Schools Direct, which both offer salaried courses to enable you to become a teacher. You would obviously have to leave your job, but you would be able to earn whilst you train.

Secondly, there is the assessment only route- if you are teaching full classes in your school, you'd be able to follow this route to get qualified after about two years of experience. It usually takes a bit less than a year to get qualified this way.

If you need a degree, could you look at a part time open uni degree which you could study whilst working? You could then follow one of the post grad routes into teacher training.

I think it's very unlikely you could do a Primary Ed. degree and keep working as a teaching assistant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (31)
15.98%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (61)
31.44%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (23)
11.86%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.25%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.67%
I think it's an unfair expectation (49)
25.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.55%

Watched Threads