hopeful-lawyer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone. It's embarrassing to admit, but I'm quite oblivious when it comes to financial / tax issues.

I'm starting a new job next week - my third job - and I can't seem to find a P45 from my most recent job. I keep everything well-organised in a multi-tab folder so I'm annoyed at myself for somehow managing to lose it.

Weirdly enough, I have found a P45 from my first job ...

Do I give this 'old' P45, or just tell my employer I lost my recent one?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
'They may use a ‘Starter Checklist’ to collect the information, or may collect it another way. The Starter Checklist has questions about any other jobs, benefits or student loans you have. It helps your employer work out your correct tax code before your first payday.' doesn't sound like you actually need one.
hopeful-lawyer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I actually just found this out on the Gov website, so thank you very much for confirming!
DonDuck
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you cannot provide a P45 to your new employer, there is a chance you will be placed on an emergency tax code.

This will most probably result in more tax being deducted from your pay than you owe, however you will get a reimbursement after the end of the tax year.

I would suggest contacting your previous employer and asking for a new copy of your P45. I’m sure they will be able to provide this to you.
martin7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DonDuck)
If you cannot provide a P45 to your new employer, there is a chance you will be placed on an emergency tax code.

This will most probably result in more tax being deducted from your pay than you owe, however you will get a reimbursement after the end of the tax year.

I would suggest contacting your previous employer and asking for a new copy of your P45. I’m sure they will be able to provide this to you.
You can't get a replacement P45.

https://www.gov.uk/paye-forms-p45-p6...ost-paye-forms
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by martin7)
You can't get a replacement P45.

https://www.gov.uk/paye-forms-p45-p6...ost-paye-forms
In reality, it's entirely possible for the previous employer to resend it at their discretion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (29)
5.38%
Uncertainty around my education (62)
11.5%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (65)
12.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (71)
13.17%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (29)
5.38%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (24)
4.45%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (57)
10.58%
Financial worries (34)
6.31%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.71%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
6.12%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.78%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (55)
10.2%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (45)
8.35%

Watched Threads