MLegard
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am so unsure of how the classification works for independent students and need some help understanding how my entitlement is figured out for the Maintenance loan and also the childcare grant.

I am 24 (25 before the start of my course) and I live with my boyfriend of 7 years but we are not married. We have a little boy who is going to be in childcare when I start my PGCE year in September.

I thought they would use my partner's income as a guide and I wouldn't get very much maintenance loan as his income is fairly high but when I have just checked my account it is saying I am getting the full amount? Obviously, this is a good thing and I am really grateful as I was unsure how the hell I was going to afford my mortgage but I can't understand why as I thought I didn't class as an independent student.

I am yet to find out about my childcare grant entitlement and was expecting this to be zero but now I have no idea as I was expecting about 2k less maintenance loan than what I have been allowed?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MLegard)
I am so unsure of how the classification works for independent students and need some help understanding how my entitlement is figured out for the Maintenance loan and also the childcare grant.

I am 24 (25 before the start of my course) and I live with my boyfriend of 7 years but we are not married. We have a little boy who is going to be in childcare when I start my PGCE year in September.

I thought they would use my partner's income as a guide and I wouldn't get very much maintenance loan as his income is fairly high but when I have just checked my account it is saying I am getting the full amount? Obviously, this is a good thing and I am really grateful as I was unsure how the hell I was going to afford my mortgage but I can't understand why as I thought I didn't class as an independent student.

I am yet to find out about my childcare grant entitlement and was expecting this to be zero but now I have no idea as I was expecting about 2k less maintenance loan than what I have been allowed?
Hi there, you are classed as independent as you have a child.

Are you 25 before the 01/09/2021? If not, then we don't require your partners income to assess your entitlement and you will be awarded the maximum.

Next year if you are 25 before the 01/09/2022 then your partner will need to provide their income and that could mean you receive less funding in your second year.
Thanks, Isaac
MLegard
Rep:
?
I am 25 in July 2021. I have been approved for the full maintenance loan already but the childcare grant is the thing I am most concerned about as this will be hugely expensive if I don't receive it.

Are you assessed differently for the loan and the grant?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am 25 in July 2021. I have been approved for the full maintenance loan already but the childcare grant is the thing I am most concerned about as this will be hugely expensive if I don't receive it.

Are you assessed differently for the loan and the grant?
You must provide your partners income, if you were not asked for it then you might of accidentally stated you were single.

How much did your partner earn in the 19/20 tax year?
Thanks, Isaac
MLegard
Rep:
?
I have provided that information already and they have contacted him to confirm. It was around £39000 before tax. Not sure how this works as if I am independent why would they need this? Surely that means I am not an independent student in this case as it is then means-tested off my partners income instead of my parents?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have provided that information already and they have contacted him to confirm. It was around £39000 before tax. Not sure how this works as if I am independent why would they need this? Surely that means I am not an independent student in this case as it is then means-tested off my partners income instead of my parents?
As you are over 25 and have a partner, your application will be assessed on his income.

With 39k household income you won't be entitled to any childcare grant unfortunately.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.67%
Excited but a bit nervous (146)
45.34%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.8%
I'm really nervous (65)
20.19%

Watched Threads