quaversandtea
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’ve almost finished my first year of 6th form but I put absolutely no work in due and am failing my subjects, I’ve got mocks this week that I know I won’t pass but I don’t really care anymore, I’ve been struggling with my mental health for years and school has always been a major factor in that. I don’t see the point in continuing my second year - if they let me - because I don’t know any of the content and I know that I won’t put in the work to be able to catch up or pass my alevels, it will just be extra stress for nothing.

I’ve been looking at different college courses or possibly apprenticeships instead, I used to aspire to go to Uni but it just seems like a bad financial decision now, especially if my mental health continues to decline as that will likely take a toll on my work ethic and grades. I just don’t want to regret it later if I end up struggling to pay rent as I’ve grown up in poverty and my only real goal is to have a comfortable living for myself.

Should I drop out? I personally don’t even see the point of me taking the end of year AS mocks if I’m not even going to return in September. I’m taking Maths, English Lit and Criminology if that makes any difference.
Roasted Potato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by quaversandtea)
So I’ve almost finished my first year of 6th form but I put absolutely no work in due and am failing my subjects, I’ve got mocks this week that I know I won’t pass but I don’t really care anymore, I’ve been struggling with my mental health for years and school has always been a major factor in that. I don’t see the point in continuing my second year - if they let me - because I don’t know any of the content and I know that I won’t put in the work to be able to catch up or pass my alevels, it will just be extra stress for nothing.

I’ve been looking at different college courses or possibly apprenticeships instead, I used to aspire to go to Uni but it just seems like a bad financial decision now, especially if my mental health continues to decline as that will likely take a toll on my work ethic and grades. I just don’t want to regret it later if I end up struggling to pay rent as I’ve grown up in poverty and my only real goal is to have a comfortable living for myself.

Should I drop out? I personally don’t even see the point of me taking the end of year AS mocks if I’m not even going to return in September. I’m taking Maths, English Lit and Criminology if that makes any difference.
I mean what is it do you want to do?!

Uni is not for everyone! And it's just a different financial decision. My friend took music and she will never pay back her loan, some of my friends took engineering and expect to, its just a different decision because you can say I'm £xxxxx in debt but actually most people never pay it back and its only based on your salary, its not like a normal loan!
Apprenticeships you do learn while you earn but not a lot, and if you have to relocate you might struggle on a small salary again it depends on the job though
And experience is basically invaluable in today's world and the training company gets a feel for you as an individual and providing you do well you might get hired!
You can always redo a year of sixth form and blame it on covid, taking a relevant college course isn't a bad thing!
It all depends on your job and what you want. There is no point in following the 'normal' way to do things if you are unhappy! And there is no shame in changing your mind or goals
emptyteeth
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by quaversandtea)

It's never wise to make decisions based on emotion. You're sad and pretty pessimistic at the moment. But in the longer run, it doesn't make any sense to make decisions based on these feelings. You can achieve a grade you'd be proud of if you work hard enough. You may not know where to start right now, but I'll even help you if you need it. If it's any consolation, you're not the first to feel this way about life; you're not the first to want to give up. You'll be okay, everything usually is in the end.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (44)
5.8%
Uncertainty around my education (88)
11.61%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.55%
Lack of purpose or motivation (97)
12.8%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.15%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.67%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (82)
10.82%
Financial worries (51)
6.73%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.22%
Exposure to negative news/social media (47)
6.2%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.17%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (59)
7.78%

Watched Threads