Jaw surgery on the NHS as an adult?

Watch
Lolly29
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had experience getting jaw surgery on the NHS as an adult? I have a severe overbite, I'm unsure what it is now but when I was seeing an orthodontist as a teen they said it was 13mm on one side and 14mm on the other. I had the removable block braces to try and bring my lower jaw forward and train track braces without much improvement. I was told that I was eligible for surgery to have my lower jaw broken and brought forwards but my dad didn't want me to have it just because I "didn't like my teeth". Ive not seen an orthodontist since I was about 15, I'm 20 now and I've mostly just learned to live with it even though I hate it. But over the past year I've been having really bad jaw pain to the point that sleep feels impossible some days, it hurts to chew and my jaw clicks and locks itself alot. I also get really bad pain by the front of my ears. I was hoping that I could get treatment for this but everywhere I look says that the NHS very rarely gives adults orthodontic treatment. Has anyone had experience getting treatment on the NHS for similar as an adult? I'm scared I'll be laughed out of the dentist if I ask about it because I already missed my chance.
SlaveofAll
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You may start by reading this one. (https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...ery-do-you-pay)
B1568
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, i'm in a similar position to you where i have learnt to live with my facial appearance but deep down its still my biggest insecurity. It's really hard to deal with and its something you wish you could change immediately. I looked at having braces/jaw surgery when i was 18 but the whole process seemed so scary so i didn't go through with it. Now im 21 and thinking about going through the process but it seems so far away, especially now during Covid. I think if it mentally and physically affects you then you can receive treatment through the NHS but im still not entirely sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads