What's a good job for an introvert? Way to meet someone?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I finished my masters course in September and since then I've become self employed with two jobs part time. I enjoy both jobs but I barely make any money with both combined even if I was to do it full time there'd be no difference in how much money I make. I want to get an employed job part time. The only problem is I'm not a people person as I'm introverted which is why I'm self employed. I'd hoped I'd make more money by now but haven't as the months have gone along. I want to be financially independent, I'm in my late twenties and still living my with my mum which I don't mind but i can't be sponging off her forever.

I was thinking of a remote/work from home job but then I'd be stuck at home which I am sick of. I rarely go out as it is, only to shop or when I have to go to the bank. I want to go out and meet people. I don't have any friends, I lost touch/contact with any friends I ever made it or they just turned on me for no reason. I'm not really interested in making friends, I'm not a social person. Friends aren't for me but I'd like to meet someone and settle down. I have tried online dating sites but had no luck and gave up quickly. Like most guys are just there for sex or aren't interested and I don't take pictures of myself and don't want to take one and put it online. Plus you don't know who you are meeting online, I'm scared of being catfished or worse.

I have no experience with guys. I've met guys I've liked the look of but have been too shy to approach them. I'd hoped they'd try to approach me as they seemed to be interested in me and confident but they never did. I'm not the prettiest woman out there but I think I'm ok like Guys are always staring at me even now with covid when I'm wearing a mask in public places so I thought maybe they'd come talk to me. Like I know other introverted women are in relationships cos I joined a few introvert groups on Facebook and a lot of them are with extroverted guys and were approached by the guys first. Like I don't even get that. Am I that unapproachable? Is there a way to show I'm approachable without talking? If they made the first move and spoke to me, I'd respond I'm not mute.

I feel like I need to meet people in person and get used to talking to them which I find difficult. I want to build my confidence up and think getting a job where is be working with someone would be a good start but I don't know what would be a good job. Somewhere behind the scenes where there would be less people to work with and not have to deal with the public (That would be too overwhelming for me)
Anonymous #1
I was able to talk to one guy a couple of times briefly who was doing the same course when I did my BA, he always approached me but I didn't like him and got a bad feeling about him from the start. He turned out to be a creep, he had a thing for me. I barely knew him and stupidly gave him my contact details before the course ended, he messaged me and it quickly turned into him wanting to send me pics of his you know what so I blocked him.
shooonthebeat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure what would be a good job for you. What did you study? What are you hobbies/interests? Also if you want to meet more people, going to social events could help.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by shooonthebeat)
I'm not sure what would be a good job for you. What did you study? What are you hobbies/interests? Also if you want to meet more people, going to social events could help.
I studied design. My hobbies/interests are shopping, video games, reading, movies and I enjoy the self employed jobs I have- one includes drawing, the other writing. What social events could I go to that's aren't too crowded? I'd probably get overwhelmed and leave if there were too many people.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The best course of action for you will involve some courage. And it will involve you throwing out some inner life philosophies that you've been clinging on to.

I have a feeling that you may be one of those people that is so addicted to your self destructive behaviours that you'd rather cling on to them than make positive changes to your life.

You clinging to your shyness and severe distrust of men is similar to gambling addicts clinging to their addiction or clinically obese people clinging to their eating and exercise habits.

Except that as you overcome your shyness you are less likely to revert than a gambling addict would.

At the moment you don't have a dating sales funnel. You are also being hypocritical when it comes to breaking the ice. You are disappointed that men don't break the ice with you and yet you never break the ice with them.

The best job for you would be one where you have to meet and talk with lots of different people. EG Sales person at a car dealership.

Face down your fears. Set up an effective dating sales funnel. The skills you gain from doing this will help you with your businesses.

Start living life like an adult. Stop living it like a timid child. You only live once.
I know that this post is tough love. But tough love is what will help you most now. And you being very firm with yourself is the best way that you can help yourself now.

Edit: Stop pandering to these fears and inner insecurities that you have. They have been controlling your life like inner demons. Get rid of them. Today.
Last edited by Dunnig Kruger; 1 month ago
lucyyy12
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m a massive introvert too and I found the only way to get myself used to people was to just force myself to interact with them. I forced myself to get a job in a really busy shop which means I’m constantly talking to people. I also started university and forced myself to go out with people. It was and still is hard as I didn’t know anyone but it does get easier.
I used to think I wanted to work alone too, but now realistically I wouldn’t want to do that because I would find it so lonely and unfulfilling. I’m training to be a primary school teacher and I absolutely love it.
Also, working with others means you will be around others and find it easier to make friends. I think it becomes harder to make friends as you get older so a job is a good way around this.
Just because you’re introverted don’t think you can’t go out and meet people. Introverts needs people too, everyone gets lonely. I used to think I could be alone forever but honestly I don’t think anyone can.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (0)
0%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (0)
0%
No I am happy with my choice (0)
0%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed