Help- I really hate my placement.

Watch
samgre17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

Not too sure I’ve posted this in the right area but I really need help.

So I started a year long work placement a couple of weeks ago for a SME. I was super excited about starting because it sounded really interesting and I’ve always enjoyed working in the past. The first week was great and I understood everything I was taught but I’m now working from home.

The job description specified that I’d be doing lots of things on the daily basis but now I’ve started my job is just cold calling. This was not specified on the job description and I am not the sort of person who likes talking on the phone. Every time I call people they are rude to me and I absolutely hate it. The fact I’m working from home is making it even worse because there’s no way for me to joke about it with anyone or rant and get it off my chest.

I’m crying all the time when I think about work because it’s not what I signed up for at all and I feel like I’ve just wasted a year of my life. I know it’s good experience and money but I really hoped that I’d be enjoying it too. It’s got to the point where I’m scared of ringing people because I don’t want to be abused by them.

What should I do?

Is it too late to reapply for another placement if I can find one? I don’t really want to go back to university for the year so what are my options? Hopefully when I get back in the office it won’t be as bad?

Thanks!
Last edited by samgre17; 1 month ago
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by samgre17)
Hi everyone,

Not too sure I’ve posted this in the right area but I really need help.

So I started a year long work placement a couple of weeks ago for a SME. I was super excited about starting because it sounded really interesting and I’ve always enjoyed working in the past. The first week was great and I understood everything I was taught but I’m now working from home.

The job description specified that I’d be doing lots of things on the daily basis but now I’ve started my job is just cold calling. This was not specified on the job description and I am not the sort of person who likes talking on the phone. Every time I call people they are rude to me and I absolutely hate it. The fact I’m working from home is making it even worse because there’s no way for me to joke about it with anyone or rant and get it off my chest.

I’m crying all the time when I think about work because it’s not what I signed up for at all and I feel like I’ve just wasted a year of my life. I know it’s good experience and money but I really hoped that I’d be enjoying it too.

What should I do?

Is it too late to reapply for another placement if I can find one? I don’t really want to go back to university for the year so what are my options? Hopefully when I get back in the office it won’t be as bad?

Thanks!
That's probably all you can do wfh. Ask what the programme of work for the placement is if you return to the office and if you have to stay wfh beyond July. When you've got a clear plan of what they are proposing, then you have a framework to either negotiate a change to, or hold them to through the year.
samgre17
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
That's probably all you can do wfh. Ask what the programme of work for the placement is if you return to the office and if you have to stay wfh beyond July. When you've got a clear plan of what they are proposing, then you have a framework to either negotiate a change to, or hold them to through the year.
Hi thanks for the response.

I’ve been told that when social distancing is lifted we will be returning into the office full time. Hopefully once I’m in the office I won’t feel as alone and I will be more confident and able to speak to people.
SomeWelshGuy123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why are you doing a placement with a SME? Aren't they usually at large multi-nationals or boutique firms that are very industry specific?
samgre17
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
Why are you doing a placement with a SME? Aren't they usually at large multi-nationals or boutique firms that are very industry specific?
It was advertised on my university career page, so i applied and got the job. I applied to a few at multi nationals too which is why I’m so annoyed because once I got this job offer I cancelled all my other interviews.

It’s a shame but I didn’t know any better. The people here promised me something different to what I’ve got and there’s nothing I can really do about it.
SomeWelshGuy123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by samgre17)
It was advertised on my university career page, so i applied and got the job. I applied to a few at multi nationals too which is why I’m so annoyed because once I got this job offer I cancelled all my other interviews.

It’s a shame but I didn’t know any better. The people here promised me something different to what I’ve got and there’s nothing I can really do about it.
Then it sounds like they wanted some cheap labour for a year. Contact the university and they'll black-list them for the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.85%
Uncertainty around my education (93)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (84)
10.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (104)
12.68%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.88%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.49%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (90)
10.98%
Financial worries (57)
6.95%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (38)
4.63%
Exposure to negative news/social media (52)
6.34%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.05%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (79)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (65)
7.93%

Watched Threads