SongBird2020
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I bought a HP 13" envy laptop with i5 processer, 8GB Ram and Nvidia GeForce MX350 and I'm wondering if its safe to play games on it. It can run Battlefield 4 on medium settings fine but the laptop gets extremely hot and i'm worried if this could cause long-term damage. Do people normally game on non-gaming laptops or am I better off just using this for uni work which was its intended purpose? Thanks
Final Fantasy
Report 4 weeks ago
Those specs are quite low for modern games. If you’ve got a good internet connection maybe look into cloud gaming instead.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 4 weeks ago
SongBird2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
If you’ve got a good internet connection maybe look into cloud gaming instead.
I'm mainly going to be using the laptop on the move so there's not always going to be a stable internet connection.
Saisan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I mean no one is stopping you from gaming, you just have to live with a hot laptop. The heat shouldn't damage it, it's pretty typical for laptops to overheat easily when undergoing high stress tasks.
SongBird2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saisan)
I mean no one is stopping you from gaming, you just have to live with a hot laptop. The heat shouldn't damage it, it's pretty typical for laptops to overheat easily when undergoing high stress tasks.
The fan noise and heat doesn't really bother me, I just heard that the extra heat generated could shorten its lifespan. Also it's only a 13 inch laptop so I was wondering if it would even be capable of running a graphically intense game like BF4 for long gaming sessions.
Saisan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SongBird2020)
The fan noise and heat doesn't really bother me, I just heard that the extra heat generated could shorten its lifespan. Also it's only a 13 inch laptop so I was wondering if it would even be capable of running a graphically intense game like BF4 for long gaming sessions.
I mean if you're wondering just try it, you're the one with the laptop. No one can really advise you about whether you 'should' game or not as that's entirely up to you.
SongBird2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Those specs are quite low for modern games. If you’ve got a good internet connection maybe look into cloud gaming instead.
Do you know what kind of games I could run on with these specs then? As i said Battlefield 4 runs fine and I used the site "can my PC run it" and it can also apparently run GTA 5 at the recommended settings. And yes I will look into cloud gaming thanks.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's not really ideal.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It doesn't seem terrible, you can run a few modern games on low or medium settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2FofC83-3o. Don't worry about heat too much (unless it is shutting down from overheating) but obviously do not have it on your lap or anything.
Last edited by _gcx; 4 weeks ago
ThatsAGoodOne349
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I bought a HP 13" envy laptop with i5 processer, 8GB Ram and Nvidia GeForce MX350 and I'm wondering if its safe to play games on it. It can run Battlefield 4 on medium settings fine but the laptop gets extremely hot and i'm worried if this could cause long-term damage. Do people normally game on non-gaming laptops or am I better off just using this for uni work which was its intended purpose? Thanks
Hi there - I have had a peek at some laptops that match what you stated ibn your post - it seems that the 10th gen i5 does "gaming at 1080p with smooth frame rates".

(Original post by _gcx)
It doesn't seem terrible, you can run a few modern games on low or medium settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2FofC83-3o.
yeah im looking at the laptop on some of the shopping-y websites
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Argos is selling HP Pavillion gaming laptops for only £599 at present.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (63)
22.5%
Excited but a bit nervous (126)
45%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.86%
I'm really nervous (55)
19.64%

Watched Threads