I’m going to redo year 12 but i’m unsure of what a levels to choose.

Watch
iamconfusionnn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m currently in Year 12 but hate my current sixth form and my options, so I’m deciding to redo Y12 at my local college. I’m pretty set on this decision as everything is pushing me to go through with it but I’m unsure of what options to pick and I haven’t got much time left to decide. I’ve always enjoyed science and maths more than essay subjects but I’m currently doing Bio, Chem, Maths and I HATE them. Geography was my favourite subject in secondary (I got a 9 in it) so I’m pretty set on choosing that as my first option but I don’t know about the other two. As I said I really didn’t thrive in essay subjects like English but I’m interested in sociology, even though I’m scared I’ll end up hating it because it’s essay based. I’m super stressed out about my whole situation and neither my parents nor siblings went to uni so I’m struggling. I would ask my teachers but they’re not the most approachable. Please help
Last edited by iamconfusionnn; 1 month ago
Paralove
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Geography and sociology would go well. You might dislike writing but geography has a fair chunk of that too. But, if it's something you're genuinely interested in it will make a big difference.

What about things like languages, psychology, business, or a creative subject? What would you like to do beyond school?
plsplsplspls
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iamconfusionnn)
I’m currently in Year 12 but hate my current sixth form and my options, so I’m deciding to redo Y12 at my local college. I’m pretty set on this decision as everything is pushing me to go through with it but I’m unsure of what options to pick and I haven’t got much time left to decide. I’ve always enjoyed science and maths more than essay subjects but I’m currently doing Bio, Chem, Maths and I HATE them. Geography was my favourite subject in secondary (I got a 9 in it) so I’m pretty set on choosing that as my first option but I don’t know about the other two. As I said I really didn’t thrive in essay subjects like English but I’m interested in sociology, even though I’m scared I’ll end up hating it because it’s essay based. I’m super stressed out about my whole situation and neither my parents nor siblings went to uni so I’m struggling. I would ask my teachers but they’re not the most approachable. Please help
I am also currently in year 12!! I take sociology alongside psychology as my essay based subjects and they go really well together. A lot of writing sure but they’re very interesting. Sociology includes some geography aspects such as demography (trends in birth/death rates etc). So i think you would love it!! Do proceed to research the curriculum first so you know what you’re getting yourself into!! If want to know more feel free to DM me x
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How to Choose your 6th Form subjects - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
SB1234567890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by plsplsplspls)
I am also currently in year 12!! I take sociology alongside psychology as my essay based subjects and they go really well together. A lot of writing sure but they’re very interesting. Sociology includes some geography aspects such as demography (trends in birth/death rates etc). So i think you would love it!! Do proceed to research the curriculum first so you know what you’re getting yourself into!! If want to know more feel free to DM me x
I also did psychology and sociology and have just finished year 13. I agree that the three would go really well together and although psychology is essay based, there are many short answer questions and the 16 markers feel less essay-like because they're very structured. I know people who did both geography and psychology and geography and sociology so both would fit. If you're really concerned about essay writing though then I probably wouldn't recommend it though because, even though it's really interesting, each paper has multiple 20 and/or 30 markers which involve 30-45 minutes of writing.
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any questions about psychology or sociology as I've just finished both courses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.94%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
58.73%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
4.76%

Watched Threads