Can I become a lawyer with an English and Creative Writing degree?

Watch
Adaaa2004
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know that a lot of barristers tend to do a degree in something other than law, but I'm worried that my degree may be too vague to get into the Bar course. Any thoughts?
Amira_Jade
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Adaaa2004)
I know that a lot of barristers tend to do a degree in something other than law, but I'm worried that my degree may be too vague to get into the Bar course. Any thoughts?
At least from the legal professionals I've received advice from, it's a quicker route to get an actual law degree, bar vocational course (if you want to be a barrister) and pupillage, however this will vary depending on the place you wish to work. The best thing to do might be to ask someone who is a lawyer working in the legal profession what current advice is given and specifically how this fits into your needs, with your current degree. Some employees may view the fact you have a degree as potential that you may be able to handle training for a career as a lawyer, however remember law is a competitive area so it is likely most lawyers should have a law degree or a lot of experience in the field (perhaps 10 years I would suggest if you're looking at a degree being 3 years, a masters being 1, a bar vocational course and pupillage also being 1-2 years each). Hope this helps Please note this is just what I've learnt where I live, this may not be applicable to you and your legal system, but I hope it was still of some help
Last edited by Amira_Jade; 1 month ago
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Adaaa2004)
It's certainly not vague enough to get into the Bar course. You can get into the Bar course with literally any degree providing you meet the minimum requirements. What you're talking about is whether or not it will be an issue when it comes to pupillage applications, and I don't see why it would be. Your results from your degree, the GDL and the Bar course will be far more important than the degree itself, though personally if I saw English and Creative Writing as a degree before the GDL on a pupillage application I wouldn't have any problem with it. .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
27.85%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
10.13%
No I am happy with my choice (45)
56.96%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.06%

Watched Threads