How Have the UK Theory Tests + Hazzard Perception Tests Changed Since 2003?

Watch
Monekywrench888
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How have the the quality of Hazzard perception tests improved since 2003? I remember doing my theory test in 2003, & the quality of the Hazzard perception tests were so bad in quality it was quite hard to see any Hazzard, & I still remember to this day, being extremely angry because of this, despite I could point & clearly see Hazzards much faster than the allotted score window in some of the clips which were visible & actually NOT pixelated junk. I still think the HPT even to this day, isn't about teaching new drivers to be safe drivers, it's more about reaction speeds, outguessing the system when there's a Hazzard, the fact you get no score even forr spotting potential Hazzard to me is quite bizzare, even when spotting potential Hazzard way faster than the actual timed score period, its the most stupid, flawed system I have ever seen. It doesn't make new drivers drive safe, it completely ignores potential Hazzard which new drivers won't know if they will even develop into nothing or real Hazzards. The older clips from 2003 to 2015, were absolutely garbage quality. It's no wonder why so many failed the HPT, b/c of the absolutely atrocious quality of the video clips. When I did my HPT in 2003, the videos were all pixelated, very hard to see, some of the clips I had to endure, wasn't even in full screen, making it even harder to see any Hazzards at all. Its about damn time they actually upgraded the quality, & the entire test altogether, b/c the HPT, is flawed, its just crap, its not teaching new drivers anything, you're just playing a game with the PC, it teaches absolutely nothing of value to any new driver whatsoever, whether bike, car drivers, the very fact that even experienced drivers let alone Driving instructors have all failed the HPT is clear evidence the system doesn't work at all these are experienced drivers, bike riders who've had plenty of experience on the road, & they still failed the HPT. Somewhere in the offices at DVSA is raking in a lot of money by having this ridiculous outdated system, that actually penalises people who spot Hazzards faster then the allowed time. This is so stupid, & frustrating for people learning to drive, or who need it to make a living, it's ridiculous, a waste of time.
Last edited by Monekywrench888; 4 weeks ago
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've done two theory tests in the last two years (my practical was pushed back but my theory expired before the new date) and the quality of the clips are really good. They're CGI these days, you can find example clips online.
Monekywrench888
Rep:
?
Yeah, ive since learned from 2015 onwards, all the HPT are now with updated CGI clips instead of the old fashioned VHS style videos, also from last September, 2020, they even introduced a new part of the theory test, adding more CGI clips as part of the theory test, we're still doing the question part of the theory test, they just last September added a few more CGI clips. That's what I can gather thus far. Anyone who remembers doing those silly HPT from before 2003 - early 2015, will know exactly what I'm talking about. The clips they used were absolutely horrendous, it was that bad.Its nice to know they've updated them now to high quality at least, took them bloomin long enough though, better late than never right.Next step is, clearing this backlog of driving tests, I heard some ppl can't even book lessons well into 2022 even in the more extreme cases, but I guess it depends where you are really.I heard the Government didn't budge an inch on extending the length of the Theory test from the standard 2 years to longer to reflect the changes due to Covid-19. To me that's really unfair to people who already paid for it, passed it with flying colours, only to find they have to rebook it again, then reschedule their practical, which even then there's a waiting list about half a year to 1 year. Their justification was simply, to ready new drivers on safety. Don't know about your level of driving, but I consider myself a safe driver, despite not having a proper license yet. For me the only difficulty I have with driving is parking, lane changes, everything else, I can do fine.
Last edited by Monekywrench888; 4 weeks ago
Monekywrench888
Rep:
?
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
I've done two theory tests in the last two years (my practical was pushed back but my theory expired before the new date) and the quality of the clips are really good. They're CGI these days, you can find example clips online.
I wish you good luck on your theory test & practical test. 💪💪💪✊✊
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Monekywrench888)
I wish you good luck on your theory test & practical test. 💪💪💪✊✊
Thank you! I had my theory test on Monday and passed
Monekywrench888
Rep:
?
Thank you! I had my theory test on Monday and passed
Congrats 👏👏👏👏👍👍👍👍🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊✨✨✨🎇🎇🎆🎆🎇for passing the theory test, now comes the part everyone hates & dreads. Just relax, think of it as just another driving lesson.
Don't dwell on small minor mistakes you make, just keep driving & remember all the skills you learnt whilst doing lesson. Always remember when doing the practical, don't forget to do observation, the eximer will mark this down as minor fault, but if they catch you doing even minor faults way too often, it's automatic fail. I seen many of friends panic doing the tests too, reason why, they were too nervous, too anxious, anyways, keep calm whilst doing the practical, don't forget the things your instructor taught you on your lessons. Always, always keep calm, no matter if idiots honk at you from behind. There'll always be idiots like that. Good luck on your practical.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Monekywrench888)
Congrats 👏👏👏👏👍👍👍👍🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊✨✨✨🎇🎇🎆🎆🎇for passing the theory test, now comes the part everyone hates & dreads. Just relax, think of it as just another driving lesson.
Don't dwell on small minor mistakes you make, just keep driving & remember all the skills you learnt whilst doing lesson. Always remember when doing the practical, don't forget to do observation, the eximer will mark this down as minor fault, but if they catch you doing even minor faults way too often, it's automatic fail. I seen many of friends panic doing the tests too, reason why, they were too nervous, too anxious, anyways, keep calm whilst doing the practical, don't forget the things your instructor taught you on your lessons. Always, always keep calm, no matter if idiots honk at you from behind. There'll always be idiots like that. Good luck on your practical.
Thanks for the advice

I had my first test back in December and failed. Frustrating as I was actually doing quite well up until that point and just made a stupid mistake I'd never have done in a lesson. Oh well. Definitely think it was nerves but now I've experienced a test and know what to expect, hopefully I'll do better next time.
Monekywrench888
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice

I had my first test back in December and failed. Frustrating as I was actually doing quite well up until that point and just made a stupid mistake I'd never have done in a lesson. Oh well. Definitely think it was nerves but now I've experienced a test and know what to expect, hopefully I'll do better next time.
Most important thing is, whenever you feel like you made a mistake, don't think about the mistake you may of made, stay calm, have confidence in your driving ability, always stay focused, doing mirror checks whenever making turns, changing speed, lanes, slowing down etc. I'm confident you'll pass the practical with flying colours. It's possible to even bring your instructor on the test as an observer if it makes you feel more comfortable & relaxed, though you don't have to, it's optional. Just thought I'd let you know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads