How easy is it to make friends in university and student accommodation?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been looking to apply for university in September and I’m just wondering how easy it is to make friends. I’m saying this as pretty much my whole life I haven’t had 1 friend, hated school, hated sixth form and now I’m going to uni. And was just wondering if anyone has any advice on making friends at uni as so far I just can’t seem to I think I may have built a bit of a wall up from others and I wanna try to get rid of it before uni but I’m not sure how. I thought going into student accommodation is a good idea but I’m still on the fence about it yet probably due to me not being good with people. Anyone got any advice on this situation thanks
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have been looking to apply for university in September and I’m just wondering how easy it is to make friends. I’m saying this as pretty much my whole life I haven’t had 1 friend, hated school, hated sixth form and now I’m going to uni. And was just wondering if anyone has any advice on making friends at uni as so far I just can’t seem to I think I may have built a bit of a wall up from others and I wanna try to get rid of it before uni but I’m not sure how. I thought going into student accommodation is a good idea but I’m still on the fence about it yet probably due to me not being good with people. Anyone got any advice on this situation thanks
Hey there,

Thats awesome that you are looking at going to uni!

I would say it is super easy to make friends in uni accommodation, a lot easier than at school or sixth form, because you are all in the same boat when you start and so you bond really easily! Being in student accommodation is really useful for making friends and so I would definitely say go for this if you can - a lot of people find making friends a lot harder if not in student accommodation. That being said, don't worry if you don't 'click' with your housemates!

My advice would be to make the most out of your first few days and weeks at uni - thats the best time to really get involved and meet new people. Everyone is nervous to meet people and make friends at uni, so don't worry you won't be alone in that at all. The great thing about uni is that there are a lot more people you can chose to be friends with compared to school, you just have to find your people. Sometimes this can take a while! For me this definitely wasn't until my second year. Its normal, please try not to worry!

I think you'll do great just get yourself out there and meet as many new people as you can. Maybe try joining some societies? Its good to find people with the same interests as you.

I hope this helps - good luck with it all!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Last edited by UniofReading; 1 month ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi!

I think at uni it's a lot easier. For me, there are a lot more people that are all so different so finding people like you can be easier, unlike school where you're forced to be surrounded by people with who you may not have much in common. For example, there are so many different societies you can join, from sport, cultural, film clubs, creative clubs etc.
As above joining a society is the best thing to do. Most are really sociable and accept everybody. Don't be afraid to try something new. I tried cheerleading having never done it before and now I love it, it is my escape from uni work.

Halls are really sociable too. When you move in try to keep your bedroom door open for people to feel more welcoming to say hi. Then when you've unpacked your stuff go into the kitchen and offer to help others. Even if it's making a cup of tea for them or offering a snack (that's usually a good ice breaker). With your flatmates it's a nice idea to introduce yourself to the surrounding flats. Offer to go shopping or explore the university with your flatmates, as this is a chill thing to do and really good for bonding with them.
Your first night there, you don't have to go clubbing. A lot of students do stay in and get to know each other first.
But, don't be afraid to go to a pres or something in your halls, a lot of people meet others this way, and if you don't like it then leave (there will be plenty of other opportunities).

You'll also meet people on your course. A simple hi to them at first can be enough to break the ice. It will make it easier to talk to them in class. And again you can even ask them if they fancy going to shops or something with them on your way back to halls. It might even end up them inviting you. But these simple things make all the difference in the long run. You may not stick with the people you met in freshers/ at the beginning but it will get you use to meeting new people. Just remember everyone is in the same boat as you!

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Last edited by University of Portsmouth Student Rep; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads